Developer

PixRacer with Ardupilot

This is a discussion to focus the feedback and support of ardupilot on the PixRacer board from AUAV.co.

We believe that all teething problems encountered are now resolved and so we recommend people load Copter-3.3.4 which is available for all multicopters through the Mission Planner's (and other GCS's) Install Firmware screens.  Note that because regular Pixhawks are still on Copter-3.3.3 the install icon may show Copter-3.3.3 but rest assured, Copter-3.3.4 will be installed (you can check the version by looking at the very top of the Mission Planner).

3691274249?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Logs for Dev's...   Running a copy of arducopter 3.4 I downloaded/installed on 5/21.
    Still some alt_hold trouble.  Unpredictable behavior.
    It still makes small yaw adjustments, and occasionally some sudden bursts of power/increases in altitude. 

    Also, my telemetry connection (standard modems, not wifi) has become very unstable..  I connect, it starts downloading params at a normal speed, then slows down considerably.. and when it is finished transferring the parameter list, the connection level is down around 10%.  It seems random.  I have checked my antennas, and they are all OK.  Power cycling either modem (pc or copter) fixes the trouble, and I get 99% reception again.
    But, I have to mention, I haven't done a lot of research in to it, and maybe my modem has developed an issue..
    Also, MissionPlanner updated itself since the last time I used it, so maybe it's a MP issue... 


    Small log had a few sudden bursts of power, and it's short, so should be easy to see the issue.
    The larger log was having some of the telemetry connectivity issues, and some of the yaw movements, and one or two sudden bursts of power in alt_hold.  Also, at the end of the log, it was just sitting stationary, and EKF went red on velocity..  I'm sure it's a GPS thing... but happens often.

    • I can also confirm that in the 1 in 20 times I can connect to the Pixracer via USB, the params download speed is sporadic. Sometimes normal, sometimes slow, sometimes does not seem to finish, when really it has.

    • Apparently there is a problem w/ file upload at the moment.. Just tried from my internet connection, as well as a clients w/ a completely different provider, and cannot upload the files...  
      Will try again in a few hours..

      • Still can't access the home page or upload my log files, but want to mention something... 
        I know I say bad things about this GPS all the time, but it's worth mentioning again..  (because it causes SOO many subtile issues and I have wasted months figuring out it's the GPS the first time I used one of these)
        I have 2 RTFQ mini m8n gps's, and both are getting about 6-10 satellites and have poor position hold capability under the tree in my back yard.  (10+ meter drifting around)
        I plugged in my HK m8n, and I get 20 satellites and totally solid loiter.  (maybe 10cm drift)

        All of them are using the same configuration. (I checked in the Ublox config program)

        • This reply was deleted.
          • did you find a suitable case for that CSGShop gps? One thing that is nice about many of the cheaper eBay etc gps's is the form factor as they are inside a case with a nice encased single wire harness which looks cleaner and the single encased wire is far less prone to issues than a home made jumper. But I hear ya... if the gps is garbage it's the old garbage in garbage out scenario. 

            • This reply was deleted.
              • nice solution to retain the canopy, stock tarot way is way too easy to loose mid-flight. I actually substituted the rear tarot column for a regular aluminum standoff and use a plastic screw to secure the canopy. 

                I've actually have great experience with lea6h  gps/compasses from RTFQ.  for half the price of a the CSG m8n I never saw difference in performance, especially when used with 1.2ghz vtx. 

                cheap m8n can be used too when glonass is disabled and refresh rate set to 5hz, but they are more sensitive to noise so no 1.2vtx near those.

                I have one on 7kg hexa routinely flying missions every weekend sometimes midweek. 

                • This reply was deleted.
                  • Have you fitted the rubber grommet things actually 'in' the case, as in into hole so it sits above and below the casing?  I think I had to enlargen the holes very slightly with a drill to get them in but once I did the canopy has never come off since, even at high speed.

              • nice job. Looks like a good candidate for 3D printing too.

  • A few pics of our pixracer build:

    EMAX nighthawk (previously had a CC3D)

    FLVSS and craft and theory telemetry from battery and telem1 to Taranis

    alceOSD connected to telem2

    RunCam

    Mobius (power only since it has super capacitor).

    ASCP4 PDB

    FrSky XSR using S.Port for telem.

    Pleased with placement of safety switch, buzzer and GPS/compass. Could have done better with color co-ordinating and getting pixracer with a working USB :). Also FPV cam a little exposed to damage.

    Todo: foam over baro, and will shorten posts to fit wifi module when I receive replacement PixRacer. Connect C&T telem cable to FLVSS.

    Nextup: going to install a pixRacer on an EpiQuad 210 with 4 in 1 ESC and alceOSD. It's gonna be tight :)

    Pixracer -EMAX nighthawk -LHS close.JPG

    Pixracer -EMAX nighthawk -RHS.JPG

    https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702245801?profile=original
  • Just as an experiment you could try QGround Control and the PX4 flight stack and see if that works better.  I believe all the features of that flight stack support the Pixracer.

    3.4 dev is not about supporting the Pixracer.  It's about terrain following in auto mode and a few other enhancements.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Jose Araujo liked Jose Araujo's profile
Aug 29
spencer harvey liked spencer harvey's profile
Jul 9
More…