RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have not flown with it yet. Latency is noticeable when moving a servo... similar to video lag.  I'm working today, so can't give you better info at the moment.  (I didn't measure it at the time I was working on it.. I was just happy I got it all put together and transmitting)
    One of the developers mentioned the possibility to improve on it, and that would be desirable.   I fly in tight spaces next to or above buildings for inspections, etc.  Quick corrections can be important! 

• Hi, since you've got the RC link working, how is the latency? Have you had a chance to fly with it yet?

Scott W said:

Thanks.  I tried various settings last night and could never get them to talk, so I guess I'll give up for now too. 
    900x to 900x is working great.  Got the RC link figured out too :)

If one of the RFD people sees this, could you let us know if these might work with older modems in a future firmware update, or if it's a hardware limitation or something? 

Thank you.

• Also received some 900x's in the mail today after ordering them last Thursday.

Looks good so far, but I'm still looking for the latest mesh/PPM firmware and GIT. Anyone know?

• Developer

AFAIK:   the 900x radios are superior to the 900+ in just about every way,  ( which itself is great) but the loss that had to occur in doing the more advanced features of the 900x was that they are not (currently) air-compatible with the 900+ radios in software/firmware.      Of course, that said, it's not a hardware limitation, not that I know of anyway, so totally possible, in theory, for someone who was keen to make their 900x and 900+ air-compatible.    I just don't think it's top priority for the manufacturer right at this moment.  

• Thanks.  I tried various settings last night and could never get them to talk, so I guess I'll give up for now too. 
    900x to 900x is working great.  Got the RC link figured out too :)

If one of the RFD people sees this, could you let us know if these might work with older modems in a future firmware update, or if it's a hardware limitation or something? 

Thank you.

• wont connect for me either, I think is a different message type or something, because it says on the tool message number is like 32 or something and other is 27... i gave up trying to make them work

• Are the 900x's compatible with older modems?  I can't get mine to talk to my 3dr modem.  I noticed a few of the settings were different and changed them to match the 3dr modem, but it won't connect. 

• I have been waiting for new MP firmware with RSSI for way over a year. Have they dropped update support or what? Why do we never get any feedback from the manufacturer?

Ikaros said:

No problem,

RSSI reporting is unfortunately not yet supported in the MP firmware

• No problem,

RSSI reporting is unfortunately not yet supported in the MP firmware

• Thanks lkaros, that did the trick! Now around 98% link quality, and the transmission rate is also much better.

The rssi values in Mission Planner are now around 6 to 8. Any idea why they are so low? Before they were around 250.

Noise levels are around 3.

thanks again for your quick reply.

This reply was deleted.

Activity