Soldering motor cable

Hello,

My problem is the following: I had an unfortunate crash and one of the cables of a motor (the red cable, which I suppose that is the power cable) broke. The rest of my quadcopter is fine, I tested everything and it works.

Due to living in Spain, ordering a replacement motor from 3DR (the motor is the blue one from 3DR) would cost me 70$ thanks to shipment costs. What I thought was, could I solder the cable with tin and see if it works fine?

I haven't done it and I am asking for your opinions. Is doing this viable, will the motor receive proper amperage so that it goes more or less equal with the other 3 motors.

I also want to ask if it's possible to replace the motor with another different 850kv motor from EMAX.

Thanks in advance to anyone giving it's own experience, advice or thought about this.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok, I'll try doing this. I'll tell you if it worked.
  • Yeah, that's it. i'll have to go buy some of it and shrinking tube.
    • Most solder contains flux, if I'm not mistaken.

• I add a photo of the cable status right now.

IMG_20140917_162911.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701831922?profile=original
    • yea, you can solder these wires together.  or use a crimp connector, or any choice to complete the circuit.

I would not 'pre-tin' the wires nor add any extra flux.. the solder has a core that is filled with flux.

splices should vary for each application and situation...

this connection, although it is critical to maintainng flight is not needing nasa standards. ps I dont think nasa will allow a splice..  a broken wire will get replaced... )

anyways... these wires are high strand count wires.. I would just streip the insulation a short bit, then shove the wires 'end to end', to try to inter-mesh the strands... as far as you can. it wont be easy as the strands are fine/small and will bend.. but do your best..

youwill probably need help by a friend to hold things...

then solde the interwoven wires. 

oh, btw, if you can find some heat shrink,  put that on first...

the reason I am not suggesting the 'twisting' of the wires, is that you dont have enuf wire to get a sufficient number of twists to make a difference, and then the wires will be shortened and pulling on the other ends..

you can add wire but that would mean two spliced connections... 

anyways, good luck

bill

• Looks to me like you can just solder the wires together and insulate the splice with heat-shrink or electrical tape.  You should have no problems with it if that is all that happened.

Joe

• Thanks, one question, how do you call that liquid that you use to presolder the wires?
This reply was deleted.

Activity