Which multicopter configuration for aerial video

I currently have a hex which is my first build.  I'm looking to build a new copter for aerial video and I would like to know which configuration (eg. hex, octa, y6) would be best.  If there is no definite answer please let me know what your opinion is.

As far as I see it right now Y6 is best for reliability and field of view but the coaxial setup causes more vibrations.

Octa has the most stability but has a higher chance of failure as there are more points of failure.  Also i'm concerned about the arms getting in the frame with an octa; can the camera's be mounted low enough to not have this issue?

I plan to use a Sony nex 6 once i get it running reliable enough for my liking.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, I am going to convert my DJI F450 into an F550 Y6. Depending on the results, I may go a step farther and test a F550 X8 in a 120 degree pattern. But I am going to start Y6 first and see how it compares.

• Some quick thoughts.

The GoPro is not a good camera for aerial video in my opinion. It's angle of view is too wide, no stabilization, rolling shutter (jello) issues. I prefer an angle more like 80 to 90 degrees like the Sony NEX-5 with the 16mm pancake lens. 

The problem with getting the gear or props in the picture is because the camera is hung under the middle of the craft. I extend the camera out front on a boom and counter balance with the battery behind. I have used three cameras; GoPro, Sony CX-160 and Sony NEX-5N. The two Sonys provide much better video. 

The more arms on the copter, the narrower the space between them so it's harder to get a clear shot with camera. 

Reliability is important but does it really override having a simpler craft? Six or eight motors are more points of failure than four. 

Dampening vibration is far trickier than most folks think. I like using an actual video camera with built in optical stabilization so whatever vibration gets through to the camera is reduced further. 

And beyond vibration, the issue of copter rolling and tilting looks bad in video. So it's important to compensate for roll and tilt. Roll is more distracting than tilt so address that first. 

My 3DR quad weighs in at a bit more than 2 kg with a Sony Handycam and flies for about six minutes. That suits my purposes well. I plan to increase my battery from 2200 mah to 4000 for longer flights approaching ten minutes. 

My videos are not on YouTube, only on my own ftp. Msg me if you'd like to download them. 

• I do not know yet from my own experience but from everything I have seen, it's hex and up. I am currently using a F450 with 2 axis GoPro Gimbal and it is quite a task to try to get usable footage outdoors. Inside I have gotten it pretty steady with rubber dampeners, balancing, etc. But outside I am still getting vibration. I am currently using APC props and am planning to try Graupners along with a few more tweeks. But from all my testing so far, I believe that a larger rig all together will help.

I also want to use the NEX line. I have a Canon 50D, but that is pretty darn hefty. Take a look at DJI's new S800 for a design that clears the props out of the way. That thing is too pricey for me but it's a cool design. I am personally looking to go to hex or octo as well but haven't quite decided.

Regarding the failure points, also keep in mind that the octo can recover from failures more-so that a hex. An motor failure on a quad and you are down. A hex and you lose some control but can possibly recover. An octo can continue to fly. All this pending the payload.

Just remember to dampen the camera from vibrations. Would love to get away from rolling shutter on camera's all together. Good luck.

This reply was deleted.

Activity