Here's what we need:
--Open source
--Cheap (sub $1,000 all in)
--Easy to make
--Full UAV--including GPS navigation and ground station.
--Capable of indoors and outdoors flight (ie, bigger than the Parrot AR.Drone, but not as big as the Hollywood-quality big camera lifters)
--Pretty mature in terms of software and community
Which projects fit the bill best?
Replies
I have been flying quadrocopters and doing impovement mods to various quads including the XUFO, X-BL/Funpilot, Experimental brushless Draganflyer, UAVP and Mikrokopter v1-1.3 for the last 7 years. For the last year, I have been helping Prof Greg Egan with flight testing his complete re-write of the UAVP code and true open source flight firmware now called the UAVX. The UAVX only required an easy plug-in PIC upgrade to the original board. The current release v1.897 added GPS position hold and return to home. The next releases will include telemetry and ground station software, waypoint navigation and software, auto landing with ground sensing and and ultrasonic altitude detection and calibration for the critical landing feature, The firmware also allows the UAVP board to be configured as a traditional tricopter with a servo motor tilt. I am finalizing flight test this week while Greg is on a well-deserved vacation. It is a mature quad board and code. Our RCGroups forum is here with the first two posts continuously updated with build info by Greg and I: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093510 Our SVN is here: http://code.google.com/p/uavp-mods/
For your consideration.
Cheers,
Jim
http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/quadrocopter-and-tricopter
I could be wrong, but i was under the impression that you will need to ask the creator, but since they will also be open source do you only need to say who made it and publish all changes as open source too?
And i will add a link posted here on diydrones to help ppl decide, it is a mega thread on RC groups showing all the quad copter platforms Here
Thanks,
James
Folding should not get in the way of integrity. Any flex in the frame will cause issues, and I mean any. But able to sit on the back seat of the car is a scheme.
We have had three UAVPs and they work.
Heres some vid from our Falcon 8, which is big and expensive but works. Thats the point you should be heading for. This is unsmoothed as well, straight out of the camera.
Unless your going really small, just for the cool factor, I don't see the point of a machine that sits firmly on the fence.
What about trying to add in some sort of wing for better performance between waypoints?
Not sure how far along OpenPilot is but that might be another platform to consider.
- Don
confortable transport is for me a must
-
1
-
2
of 2 Next