Xbee 900 help

I purchased the recommended xbee pro 900 modules from sparkfun,  I am using the sparkfun usb explorer board for the pc side, and then using the adafruit adapter board for the ardupilot side as recommended

I followed the instructions of changing the node identifier (same for both) and baud rate (38400 to match my ublox gps) for each xbee  with the X-CTU application.  I did notice that upon reading the modems, XCTU found that my devices were the XBP09-DM, (the ones in manual says they are XBP09-DP)  In the terminal i also used the +++ command on each model and got a responce of OK for both.  I then connected everything up started the ground-station, choose serial port and baud rate, and then connected the other to the ardupilot (making sure i did not connect signal cable till after power up).  But I did not get any responce or flashing lights from either modem. 

I then tried the range test with XCTU and did not get any responce either.

I then downloaded the latest firmware and followed all the above steps with same result.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong? 
Do I need to change some other settings, 
Which function set am I supposed to use for each model?
Is it a problem that I am using the digimesh xbee and not just the normal ones?

Thanks if anyone can help me

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Hi all

So i am abit ashamed to mention the cause of all my problems, but i figured its better to share so everyone can know I got it solved. It was frustrating as I practically tried everything to try get these to work

But the problem was... a bad solder joint since I decided to re-solder all the connections on my adafruit adaptor as a last resort. I got radios are working fine now

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions and apologies for some of the silly questions I might of had
  • Developer
    My experience using 3 Xbee units from Sf.

After testing and using 3 Xbee's for a year, I missed the XBP09-DM model type, displayed when good comms were detected. I was so happy that it worked, I didn't read the full message, just stopped reading at "OK", All 3 units display same message.
    I also set RO- Packetization Timeout to (4)
    I use a 4 digit NI- Node Identifier (XXXX)
    I use ArduStation mounted on RC tx in field, and Jordi's LabView Ground Station in car recording a log file.

UAV has a modified wire antenna unit, I removed wire antenna and added a normal SMA connector with a 3 db dipole antenna.
    ArduStation has a unmodified wire antenna unit inside.
    PC GCS, I added a wire antenna to a RSMA unit (both are connected, but no antenna is connected to RSMA) Xbee sits on car roof that acts as a decent ground plain.

I get good performance from all 3 units.

Only problem is when UAV unit gets bricked,
    I added 200ms startup delay and changed "+++" preamble to "---", but have not field tested this configuration, works on bench well.

My de-bricking process:
    1. Connect Xbee with FTDI to USB port, run XCTU
    2. In PC Settings, Select your USB comm port, set Baud rate to 9600
    3. In Modem Configuration, select XBP09-DP not XBP09-DM
    4. Click "Write" button, XCTU will detect modem type, and start to update firmware, and return Xbee to default configuration.
    5. Reset your custom setup (Node ID (XXXX), Baud rate (38400) , etc.
    6. in PC Settings, set to your selected Baud rate, click Test/Query
    7. XCTU displays "Comms with modem OK" message with misnomer "Modem Type XBP09-DM", and firmware version 1002

Good luck.

• Just got my Xbee's recently... and I set it up, according to the manual... and it seems to work well...

Seems that I have DM's too... but I managed to set serial data from the air...

-Teejay
  • What type of antennas are you using. Are you sure you didn't screw on the wring freq. Sounds like a RF problem.
    How will i make sure that when i re-order my xbee 900 modules that they will not be digimesh?
  • I've got some questions about X-Bees compatibility with ArduPilot....

- Is the XBee Pro 900 XSC RPSMA at Sparkfun (sku: WRL-09087) works with ArduPilot ? The range can be greater... and consumption current for the transmetter is less (210 vs 265 mA)

- Can the XBee Pro 900 XSC replace the XBee Pro 900 ?

- Other than the price, is there cons using this device ???

- Is the Baud rate OK ? In the spects, it is said: Interface data rate: Up to 57.6 Kbps (good for us) and RF data rate: 9.6 Kbps (???)

- Is it because Baud rate is lower that it is possible to transmit farther ???

Thanks for the help !
  • Admin
    Alex,

First, what GPS are you using? You only use 38kbaud if you are using the Ublox GPS. Otherwise I believe that you should be using 57.6kbaud with the EM406.

Second, the Xbee Pro 900 MHz modules that I bought from Sparkfun are not the digimesh versions. Are you sure that they are digimesh? My Xbee Pro modules communicate as if they are wireless modems and the Associate led never blinks. Also, my Xbee Pros are XBP09-DP and not DM.

Just a thought.

Regards,
    TCIII
This reply was deleted.

Activity