Prop nut tightening

I have a 2013 Y6 with the old style motor collets with rounded nuts that are tightened with a 2mm hex wrench. I had a crash earlier this year when a prop flew off mid flight despite me having checked the nut tightness prior to flight. Since then I have been paranoid about prop nut tightness.

I changed the nuts to regular M6 hex nuts and use a socket to tighten them. However I still find it difficult to tighten the nuts. While tightening, the sharp edges of the prop are digging into my hand while I am also trying to anchor the motor from spinning. I am sure everyone has had this problem sometime.

Does anyone have any tips for tightening props? Maybe I could find a tool to anchor the motor without having to clamp it. Possibly one of those rubber strap grip tools will do the trick. Haha maybe I have just answered my own question. Time to visit the hardware store.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If it is taking you an hour to put the props on a Y6, you are doing something horribly wrong.  In one hour, I can remove all 6, balance all 6, replace all 6, and fly through a battery.  Taking the props on an off is a matter of minutes, and not even with gloves.  What are you doing that is making this take an hour??

Use the Y6B configuration.  R-Props on top, normal props on bottom.  Nothing to think about or remember, super easy.

• The issue is why does all the prop shafts/hubs have standard right-handed threads.  This doesn't work well when a prop spinning clockwise touches the ground and stops spinning because the nut is spinning loose.  Seems to me the logic answer aside from nylon nuts is to ask 3DR to develop and sell left-handed as well as right-handed prop shafts/hubs for clockwise and counter clockwise motors.

• Even without the lock nuts I very rarely have a prop get loose even during a crash. Maybe you just aren't tightening them enough?

Any piece of cloth should work to protect your hand. I don't use anything but my bare hands and I get them plenty tight. In. A really bad impact, I don't think it is a bad thing to have a prop loosen up rather than bend the motor. I would probably not use left and thread motor mounts because of that. I really don't see any need for them, though, because the nuts will stay on if you tighten them well unless a big crash happens. In that case, you need to check all of the nuts, not just the prop nuts. The smooth caps are just a pain and add extra weight.
    • good idea, I may make up a few sets, if anyone else is interested let me know and I will batch some...

• Don't know if this will be the best solution, but it's what I bought to install/remove my X8 props.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/BDCS40G.aspx

I agree with Haygood that the nyloc nuts would be a smart move. Home Depot also sells lightweight work gloves in the home and garden section (2 pair for around $9.00, as I recall - a bit lighter than Mechanix brand but a lot less expensive) that are plenty protective for this purpose.I use them for everything when working outdoors.
  • M6 nyloc nuts.  I suppose you could use gloves while you tighten them, but you would only need to tighten them once, at least.  

This reply was deleted.