3DR Power Module with missing part?

Hello all.

A few days ago I've made a big screw-up when I've connected by accident the battery to my hexa with the inverted polarity.

The Power Module almost melted instantly, and of course the hexa died at the moment. Nevertheless the APM still lives for I connected it to the mission planner by USB and it works fine like if nothing had happened. Blessed Power Module!

So I decided to buy a new 3DR Power Module. Unfortunatelly now it's only sold with XT-60, when my hexa came all with Deans, but I thought that was a minor setback that could be resolved with an adapter.

So when my new Power Module arrived, it came without being wrapped with the heat-shrinking tube and the comparison was inevitable.

Besides the evident differences on the plugs, and the bad PM being with the solder in bad conditions, I've found out a big missing part in the new PM.

Please watch the enclosed pictures, and tell me if the new PM (with the XT-60) is really incomplete and have to send it back to the seller, or if it's just a more recent model and everything is fine without the need of that part.

I say thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
António Cabral

P3251621.JPG

P3251622.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• >I plugged it in backwards

That sucks man but like how do you even do that?

• @ The Sun

The female Deans-type plugs have the metal contacts close to the surface of the plastic, while the male contacts stick all the way out. With a little fumbling and hard pushing (often necessary to plug these connectors together)  it's not difficult to make a momentary reverse connection. One of the mysteries of the R/C hobby is how these things ever became popular in the first place. 

• I use to buy Turningy nano-tech 5000mAh batteries and they don't come with deans or XT-60 and I hate soldering batteries, so this time i bought an adaptor deans with the kind of plug of the batteries to save that trouble. The problem is that if you don't pay attention you can invert polarity at the slightest touch as it has happened. The Pm melted instantly and part of the connector. I was impressed as it never happened to me before. Tough luck.
  • Hi António,

the "black patch" with the soldering stripes at both ends, which is soldered diagonally, is the resistor which is used as a shunt in order to measure the current. I would never use the power module with this badly soldered resistor, as a loss of connectivity would cause immediate power-loss of your copter.

The missing part on the opposite is a switched power regulator which supplies 5V for the arduino board.

I would be more than surprised if this power module would have worked even if connected to the battery with correct polarity.

I am sure, you got a defective power module.

Sorry, bad news.

BTW: I am using the following switched regulator for my copter which is quite similar to the one on the power module (or even the same):

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/167805/Schaltregler-Typ-W78-Conr...

and instead of the shunt I use a hall sensor based device (ACS758 by allegro)

• The old PM was replaced for it was dead as a rock immediatly after that fatal touch with the battery. The molten solder and that diagonal resistance are the prove of it. Untill that happened it worked perfectly. Too bad for the accident and more for buying the defective PM. I had the hope that that missing part was some kind of evolution, but this forum proved I was wrong! :P

• The new one has no BEC circuit, so yes, return it.....

The little board on the back is part of the switch mode power supply of the BEC.

• It's a pitty, because I've bought it in a store with good reputation and I believe they'll replace it or at least refund it. As someone asked but somewhat its post disappered, this seems (I think) to be a legit product that excaped QC.

This reply was deleted.