APM 2.6 Gimbal Setup

Hi. I have a question on how to install a Servo 2 axis gimbal with my APM 2.6 and am a bit confused about how and if I have to cut power lines from the servos? or get an external UBEC?! or can I bind them to Motor out 5 and 6? I didnt find a conclusion until now that satisfies me.
I would really appreciate some help :) Thanks a lot!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I will post a Link of an other topic, I created. There is a video with my "problem" and my question: can i filter, smoothen or modify the servo updaterate or anything like it? 

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/gimbal-oscillates

• To both repliers ;)  Well yes I´ve seen the wiki. And because of that i am a bit confused. Voltage is no problem because as far I understand the board everything is parallel, so no worries about loss in voltage. 

Maybe ill post my setup first: 

Quad - 4 motors Torxpower 700 KV(TigerMotor Version would be: MTxxxx-xx with 710Kv)

ESCs - Turnigy Plush 30 AMP (all becs connected to the APM with all wires plugged)(those are linear so no worries?) ^^

APM !!2.6!! - with external GPS and compass !!!and the PowerModule!!! I have read that this effects the two different sections as well ?! Man I am confused :-D and don´t want to burn the APM because this would exceed my budget.

I saw that I cant use the J1 Jumper because that would join the output section with the input section and it would do ?!damage?!. Nevertheless there is the diode which cuts off currents above 500mA. does anyone know how much amps the board with the external GPS/compass draw?

I have also read the thing about the update rates of the different outputs and that a digital servo could work with 490 Hz. Well I should find out which servos I´m using :-S . 

I want to fly a Nikon AW110 with my 2 axis gimbal. The camera weighs about 200 grams. 

Hm maybe this information is important? I hope so. Any suggestions about my next steps?

Thanks a lot!!! 

Samuel

• Developer

You've seen the wiki of course?  This warning is very correct and should definitely be followed!

Warning: Do not connect the servo’s power (red) and ground (black) wires to the RC10 (A10) & RC11 (A11) or you may cause the APM to brownout when the servos move.  Instead power the servos from an external BEC or from the APM’s rear power rail with the JP1 jumper removed.  More details below in the Connecting the servos to the APM section.

The problem with using Motor 5 and 6 is that they output at 490hz while RC10, RC11 output at only 50hz.  Most normal servos won't be happy with a 490hz update rate.  If it's a brushless gimbal which is not really a servo but rather a motor might be ok though.

• Samuel:  You can do it either way, it pretty much depends on how big the servos are and knowing how much current they will draw.  You don't want them drawing more power than the APM 2.6 can provide or you could cause a brown out which can be pretty disastrous (your machine falling out of the sky).  I am using an APM 2 with a jDrones UBEC supplying 3 amps and have powered a large size servo from the APM board with no problems. I had a GoPro attached directly to the servo shaft with an adapter I built, never had a problem.  I wouldn't have done this if I had been powering the APM2 from an ESC.

This reply was deleted.