HI,

I have a goal to fly the arducopter higher than the current tallest structure 829.8 metres and record the flight. I intend on doing this on a calm day but expect winds at high alt. I do not know what speed to expect. Has anyone brought you copter to a high alt of this value and any learnings i can take?

Thanks

Damo

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cool idea. Please do this!

I'm at 800m and can fly to 200m no problem. I think you'll only really run into air thinness above 2,000m.

However, 800m of vertical climbing and descending? Big juice...
  • Developer

I don't condone the activity but if you're using 2.9.1b you'll find that it thinks a waypoint is complete once it's completed the horizontal component even if it hasn't reached the vertical requirement.  This is resolved in AC3.0 so you can put waypoints right on top of each other horizontally but at different altitudes and it will properly climb.  With AC3.0 we've found that it doesn't always achieve it's vertical speed targets so if you want to climb at say 3m/s you should set the WP_SPEED_UP to be 450 (4.4m/s).

• It might not be very relevant to this discussion but I have some experience with high altitude quadcopter flying on DJI NAZA. Here is my video of a 750 meter flight near Ostankino tower in Moscow. Make sure you monitor battery charge and learn to manually descend from altitude fast. Also, expect to use more than half of your battery on the way down. Check radio and video link range and position all antennas for proper vertical range. Here is my video by the way) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0V3Y7byf4
  • I had a bright idea once. I felt my quad was descending to slow from a high altitude flight so I let it free fall for a bit. Once I noticed the props stop and start spinning in the opposite direction I quickly realized it was a dumb move. I instantly gave full throttle and 2 of the motors managed to flip the direction and the other 2 didn't.

In the end after the barrelling ride to earth. I noticed I didn't turn on my camera.

Now I found that I can return to earth very fast by pulling all the way to one side with the cyclic and bring the throttle really low. My motors don't stop spinning that way.
  • BTW, is there an altitude record for multicopters? I know with a plane it's easier to get up high but I tend to shy away from taking my copter too high even though I don't have a range issue with my fpv gear.

• What I would suggest is put it in Loiter and do altitude tests, increasing by 100 meters each time to gauge your batteries. I have a perfect place to try this and might give it a shot. I'm already at 250 meters starting altitude but I'm near an airport so have to keep it safe.

• I think its not allowed uless ok by the FAA.

I'd work on a parachute for it FIRST.
    I'm building my first one now and m already trying o invent a chute for it . bo
  • T3
    Love the idea, sorry I have no insight. How do you plan on flying? Loiter and full throttle up? Are you using a quad or hex or something else? Have you given any thought to flight time and battery?
    Good luck and fly safe.
This reply was deleted.