Does anyone have Failsafe working using the Turnigy 9X

I am using the 9x8chv2 as my receiver...but I just want to use the throttle off to tell arducopter that the transmitter power is off. The signal stays at  1084 even when I shut it off, which I was tolld should drop below that if the power on the transmitter goes off. Does anyone have a solution here?

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, after having several nightmares and wrecking a few times as result of the transmitter going out of range, I finallly got around to flashing this very important part of the PPM encoder....and SUCCESS!!

It worked perfect and now I have 1/3 of the failsafe asI have a power module arriving soon and have yet to figure out the GPS failsafe.

So I am very happy AND no need to toss the 9x receiver. It works GREAT!!   So thanks to all who responded especially to the fellow who made the video and of course Ted for pointing me in the right direction.

Three cheers!

• I had the same problem. The problem was if you switch the transmitter off then the receiver gives no output on channel 3 (throttle) , but on the other channels it still maintains the last output. If you have an AMP where the PPM encoder has still the older software ( for example you bought it from hobby king ) then the PPM encoder sets the missing throttle signal to a valid value (pulse >1000) and fail safe isn't triggered. 

The solution is to reflash the PPM encoder with the latest software ( http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ppm-encoder-apm2x-atmega32u2/  when the receiver now loses contact with the transmitter its channel 3 still gives no output but the PPM encoder now translate that to a very low throttle puls (about 950) wich is low enough to trigger fail safe (if that is enabled in MP)

Ted

• Developer

The failsafe logic is technically in the receiver rather than the transmitter so you may find that it's more a question of what receiver you're using not what transmitter.  The logic has to be in the receiver because when the transmitter and receiver lose contact, the receiver is left on it's own suddenly and needs to know what to do.

Anyway..for some of the receivers like the FrSky D4R-II which works with the Turnigy 9x you can set-up the receiver to either move all channels to some preset values or simply stop sending ppmsum updates.  I've created a video which is on the failsafe wiki page which shows how to set it up so that it stop sending ppmsum updates with a pixhawk but it should work the same for an APM.

• So it appears that most are writing that one can't set up failsafe with the stock transmitter and the stock receiver (9x8ch v2) ... Apparently this guy seems to have set it up with the stock hardware. Uggg! This is a pain in the azz as I want to start using this right away. The levels on my setup just stay at the last position, but in this guys video somehow it works... I cant imagine that Turnigy would see something that couldn't do throttle failsafe.

Thanks for the replies.

• I just set up FS on my futaba, by setting the FS switch position to the RTL setting. I saw on another thread that the Turnighy might not have this FS feature. In which case you would be best to upgrade the TX module on the back to a FrSky DJT. Not plug and play but not to bad if you like DIY. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHnV6hGH108 

• Check the instructions for the receiver on setting the fail-safe options. You need to set the receiver to lower the throttle when connection is lost.

This reply was deleted.