After near tree months I recived happy the Lidar Lite V2, but now I have a concern because, apparently is discontinued?

something wrong with this thing?

It's a risk to put on my quad? :(

Answer I recived: Lidar was purchased from Garmin, so It's going to re-appear under Garmin name.

Now is in the market Lightware, developing altimeters for Ardu pilot and helping rangefinders users in this forum ( http://www.lightware.co.za/shop/en/4-drone-altimeters. )

I changed the title because this post discussion content look's usefull for other rangefinders too.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• automatic switching for safe look's interesting too but I refer to have the possibility to manual switching too; My case: I use for agriculture purposes, when I'm monitoring crops searching for insect attact I want to fly as near the crop as possible avoiding crash risk, in that case I fly with laser (not experience yet), but, if I want to fly high over trees or other obstacles, I prefer baro to avoid changing altitude every time I pass over a tree, a house, etc. (sorry my horrible english).

My first little experience today was that the laser don't detect the plants at the rc club, It's that correct?

It's suppose to detect every things? or it's a minimum size? sorry the silly questions, this complely new for me.

• Your English is much better than my Spanish and even though I went to school in Spain (Majorca) I haven't spoken Spanish for 45 years!

Manual switching between laser and barometer for different flight modes would be important. As you say, there is a big difference between "terrain following" and "cruising altitude."

I can't comment on the laser unit that you have but normally you get very good performance when measuring to plants. The reason is that plants contain chlorophyl which has strong reflectivity at the infra-red wavelengths (850-950nm) used by most laser range finding products.

It is possible that the type of LiDAR that you are testing has poor performance at close range and at far range and you may get the best results at about 5m. This is typically what happens when the optical system is poorly designed. You may also find that background light is having some effect in reducing the performance so you might get better results indoors.

• Thank's for your help Laser, I have to check more because It's looks like It wasn't working but I didn't had my notebook to check yesterday; 

If only works indoor I'm "in the oven" I don't have crops indoor :(

• It should work like this video of our SF11/C which is being used as the altitude input instead of the barometer. This test was done at lower and lower altitudes and different speeds - Low altitude test flight over field

• http://s8.postimg.org/6lc2ipug5/lidar.jpg

• I have added a discussion thread on the Leddar One here:

http://diydrones.com/group/arducopterusergroup/forum/topics/leddar-...

• Since this thread has meandered a bit, I hope that no one minds if I ask a somewhat related question.

I'm connecting a LidarLite v2 to an Odroid XU4 to use for obstacle detection.  This will allow us to incorporate the Lidar data into our path planning algorithm which already runs on the onboard XU4.  The SF11/C I've ordered will be used for altitude.  The GPIO pins on the XU4 operate at 1.8v.  The i2c lines on the LidarLite v2 operate at 3.3v.  I've ordered a logic level shifter to use between the XU4 and the LidarLite.  The problem is that I don't have a 3.3v reference voltage to apply to the shifter.  The XU4 provides 1.8v and 5v.

So two questions:

1. Is it possible to put 5v on the LidarLite i2c lines?  I've seen reference online to being able to do so but it doesn't specify if that's for a v1 or v2.  Also, I don't know the source so I don't completely trust the info.

2. If the answer to 1 is "no," do I need to use a step-down regulator to get 3.3v from a 5v line?  Is there an easier way to set this up?

Thanks.

David

• Is the LightWare SF30/B compatible with the Pixhawk Software, on the Serial 4/5 port  ?

I ordered the SF11/C  but I found out that it's not good for collision avoidance,and I cancel the order, and ordered the SF30B, 50m is about 55 Yards that is half of a Football Field Length. That is plenty of distance for a warning of a tree in the path of my 680 Hexicopter.

You just can't be sure when a Tree will jump out in front of your Drone, I personally don't trust Trees or is that, Trees don't like Drones.

• The SF33/T might be a better choice for obstacle avoidance. It uses 3 beams instead of one, so you get a wider area of detection. Also, the 3 beam readings are done in parallel, so you get 9k samples per second.

https://acroname.com/store/r384-sf33t-b

http://www.lightware.co.za/shop/en/products/43-sf33tb-50-m.html

• @Rod @David - the SF33/T and SF33/S are really futuristic products designed to give a wider coverage than a regular single beam laser but with no moving parts.

The SF33's have three laser beams that are spaced 5 degrees apart. When approaching the ground or an obstacle the physical separation between the projected laser spots gets closer together so that they cover a smaller area when close to an an obstacle but a much wider area when further away.

Multi-beam capability along with a very high speed update rate make this product unique and we see a lot of use for the SF33's in sense-and-avoid applications. We are working on getting them integrated into the Ardupilot code.

This reply was deleted.