Hi,

could you tell me who is personally, legally accountable in case of drone crash case reported to law enforcement officers, FAA due to known bugs, flaws in Pixhawk flight controller ?

I have followed tens of discussions on this and other forums and questions asked by hobbyists are responded by hobbyists either.

There is no interest on the side of Pixhawk developer/s  from Switzerland

to take active part in such discussions.

The last discussion at DIYDrones

and history from

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/drones-discuss/iZmeopHOLGM/discussion

are good examples how hobbyists try to response to problems asked by hobbyists and just fail, since such questions should be responded by genuine

developer/s of Pixhawk originating from the Switzerland.

GPS is used...

No GPS isn't used...

I am surprised to learn GPS is used..

I have been surprised ..

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I smell paid DJI troll.

But don't worry. DJI still have a long way to go with their over hyped Phantom 4 visual object avoidance as beautifully demonstrated by Casey Neistat in NYC city.

• Darius, You are legally accountable for al that fly!

• Hey!

Don't insult knobs that way!

• Developer

The human pilot is responsible, end of discussion.

• Darius Jack is responsible for most drone crashes...  On a more personal note, Darius, I don't like the person you choose to be. :)  I await your response most anxiously...that is...unless you've been banned which would be awesome - I tire of you de-railing good discussions.

Also, 'seems like this may not be the first discussion board this clown's been banned from?

http://www.developers.meethue.com/content/how-post-question-everyhue

As an industrial software and R+D engineer the answer is simple although the problem is far from simple. 

The individual who assembles and operates the aircraft/ Drone/ RC model is primarily responsible for any damage or injury that is caused to a third party. That's why we have insurance.

That is why it is important to operate in a safe way and away from persons and property "in case" there is an unknown issue. 

If there is a known issue with a controller or aircraft setup and you ignore that issue then YOU accept the risk. 

I you can PROVE negligence then YOU have a claim against the manufacturer or supplier.

If you cannot prove negligence then its your problem.

What needs to be done to address this is an independent and skilled organisation that is capable of interpreting the log data and aircraft design or assembly to give a credible version of the accident taking into account the weather, flying conditions, construction, statements etc.

That should not be the Police OR the FAA.  

• Well, you are personally accountable for all actions you do.

The question is, if you live in country with more lawyers than engineers, where everybody is trying to blame somebody else, or if you live in a sensible country.

With drones,planes etc, you are the pilot. You must be in control at any time. So if you use a computer to help you, it is still your responsibility. I have yet to see software vendors like Microsoft, Oracle, Apple etc being held responsible for actions that are part bad judgement, and part software error. Sounless the software was written with malicious purposes, I doubt you can blame the software supplier for anything. So the ArduPilot code is home free.

If you bought a complete system, you might have a case against that company - Like DJI, but I doubt it. If the cases starts rolling in, you will need to have service and inspection of your drone at every flight, and pay for the larger service every flight hour, and have to scrap batteries af 20 charges etc. Not sure if this is what you want.

If you make a bad judgement, it is your fault. If you get a flyaway, try to sue the US government who provides the GPS satellites, or uBlox who makes the GPS.

Conclusion is, it is very difficult to blame anybody but the idiot holding the transmitter, who fails to switch to manual mode and land on first signs of trouble, or who flies out of range.

When I went to the local club to get some basic flight training, and my plane crashed due to bad radio signal (using parkflyer OrangeRX R615x RX),I had nobody to blame but me. I am the one who made the plane, picked components etc. I am not blaming HobbyKing/Orange Rx for selling me a non-full range RX.

Take responsibilities for your actions.

• Exactly

"

Take responsibilities for your actions."

Never take responsibilities for hardware parts manufactured by third parties.

Never take responsibilities for the firmware, you didn't code.

• Developer

You chose to use the firmware, and you chose to use the hardware. You chose to put the aircraft in a position where someone somewhere cares if it crashes enough to take you to court.

You can LIMIT the risk by purchasing aircraft grade products but not many people have the money to pay $100,000 to $1000,000 USD per airframe.

It is clear you don't wish to take responsibility for your actions or decisions. Please please please don't use Arducopter (or drive a car for that matter). We clearly state that you are responsible for ensuring your aircraft is airworthy and that you are responsible for ensuring the code setup properly and is used in a safe manner. We even provide all the code so you are able to check it yourself.

The arducopter devs give you everything you need to ensure the code is bug free and perfect in every way and could never cause you to crash. If it causes you to crash you obviously haven't checked it thoroughly. That is only your fault.

I don't care what you do provided you don't use Arducopter.

• firmare and software both are computer instructions. When your PC crash, can you sue your software developer, 

Now would you like to restate your position regarding firmware

This reply was deleted.