Hi there

I bought a couple ArduPilot w/ ATMega328 boards a few years back, but didn't get to use them .... work got in the way!

I'm still keen to do something with them -- using an IMU set-up - but now that ArduIMU+ V2 (Flat) is no longer available/produced (understandably as much as changed since I bought my boards) it seems that 3D Robotics Inc's ArduIMU+ V3 kit (or the board from SparkFun) is the only IMU available.

However, I have read that it isn't compatible with the ArduPilot legacy board despite being pin compatible. Can anyone shed some light on this? It seems strange that it isn't as SparkFun bills it as a replacement for V2!

....look forward to receiving some advice.

Simon (UK)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Peter

I meant to thank you for your response to my post ages ago, but sadly I forgot following a period of bad health. I apologise for the silence and seeming unappreciative. ..just seen your comments after logging in after a couple of years!

I have now rekindled my interest in quads and will be looking at more up-to-date controllers! ;-)

Take care

... and once again thanks.

Simon

====>

Peter said:

Hello Simon,

The last time I played with the ArduPilot (328) was with ArduPilot_2_7 and ArduPilot_2_8 with ArduIMU+ V2 and the result was not better than ArduPilot with Thermopile.  At that time, the developers were busy with making APM1 work.  So they didn't have time to put into these versions (2_7 or 2_8). 

I have not played with v3.  So I would suggest if you still want to use the old board (the red board), you should consider going back to Thermopile.  You will have a good experience.  Some of these days I will have to take both green board and red board out to fly.

Best wishes,

Peter (TH)

• Hello Simon,

The last time I played with the ArduPilot (328) was with ArduPilot_2_7 and ArduPilot_2_8 with ArduIMU+ V2 and the result was not better than ArduPilot with Thermopile.  At that time, the developers were busy with making APM1 work.  So they didn't have time to put into these versions (2_7 or 2_8). 

I have not played with v3.  So I would suggest if you still want to use the old board (the red board), you should consider going back to Thermopile.  You will have a good experience.  Some of these days I will have to take both green board and red board out to fly.

Best wishes,

Peter (TH)

• Hi Simon,

It works for me.  I'm using a Ublox GPS, the cheap one with 3DR configuration file loaded, and ArduIMU V3.  My results have been good by following the manual.  My Ardupilot board is loaded with the 2.7.1 version.  The ArduIMU is loaded with the 1.9 firmware.  To compile both I'm using the Arduino 0023.  Basically, you tell Ardupilot your GPS type is IMU and for the ArduIMU, you select Output Binary.  When you have a fix, the ArduIMU LED is solid blue while the Ardupilot LED will always be solid blue.  

This reply was deleted.