I'm new. don't bite.

Hi guys!I've been following this diy site a couple years now and I've seen it mature. Kind of impressive. I recently decides to pull the trigger and get the ball rolling on my projects. Wanted to get my hands dirty again after building a family.I recently bought an Aretino board to start with basic sensors...One question I had after reading and following the site is: where do I start? This isn't my first time with rc cars or programming, bit it has been awhile.Any tips on how to start and what to read? Might be a good idea to add a beginners page or something to the site?Abe

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh I totally will! :) I hope ;)

I'm also trying to figure out exactly what everyone's prerogative is here. I know this started as a hobbiest thing. But I'm sure everyone has figured out a way how to utilize this technology to do something productive. Thats the exiting part of learning IMO.

• Maybe I'm misunderstanding your posts, but are you saying you've bought a basic Arduino (like the Uno) and are planning to start from scratch?

If so, you're a little off-base.  All the APM:Rover stuff is built around the Ardupilot / Pixhawk boards, which already integrate IMU, compass, and support for GPS etc. They're more expensive, but you've got a LONG road ahead if you want to build up a full autopilot from a basic Arduino.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood.

• Hi Mike, I think you may be misunderstanding. I'm not planning on recreating the wheel here. Just want to get my toes wet before I jump in ;)

The arduino is on order, as you mentioned.

• Hi Abe,

When you venture into the APM environment the APM 2.6 board is the Arduino based board. This has been an aging platform. The project has been moving towards a 32 bit processor on a board board called pixhawk.

Considering the code - In my opinion the rover code has matured far beyond the point where most of us need to code anything. We download and install releases as Tom or Tridge releases them through Mission Planner. The rover's setup and pilot parameters and missions can be set through the mission planner. Most, if not all of your rover code requirements have been written, tested and is in a continuous state of development. There is even a branch towards the Linux based 'computer on a board' systems like Raspberry PI.

If you insist on doing a scratch coding job for your rover, the APM 2.6 arduino board is still a top choice since the IMU is on the board(9DOF). The only external sensors you'll need is a GPS and sonar.

Enjoy,

Antonie

• Honestly. That's what I thought would eventually happen, using the code as is. But I do want to understand the code more so to ensure I know how it handles inputs/outputs. As well as using whatever sensor I choose to use as well.

Now I'm even more excited about getting the arduino board in my hands.

I might have to go to miniinbox and order myself a GPS module.
    • Admin

@Abe,

I have an early type of Ardupilot that has analog gyros and accelerometers and a compass mounted on a shield above an Arduino 328 board that you can have for just the cost of shipping to you.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• Admin

@Abe,

What exactly is an " Aretino" board?

Regards,

• Hi Tom,

I apologize for the typo, I was writing the message in haste on my tablet...

it was supposed to read Arduino Board.

The one characteristic I like about the Arduino platform is that there are so many additional sensors, modules, shields, for the device. and most of all, there are a number of alternate main arduino boards that come with alternate processors, memory, and number of pinouts. So essentially, the options are endless.

one of my mini learning projects I've set for myself is to create a basic Lidar system for the Rover. $2 for the laser... cant go wrong with that.

• Admin

@Abe,

No apology necessary:-) Just wanted to be sure that you would be using a processor that is Arduino code compatible.

Regards,

• Hi Abe, welcome. It might have been a good idea to read the manual of ArduRover (http://rover.ardupilot.com/) before committing to a Arduino board.

If you take the time to read the manual, it will be a fairly painless journey and you will save a lot of money. If you collect batches of opinions, it might not be so easy.

Good luck and enjoy.

Antonie

This reply was deleted.