Companion: Pi 2/3/Zero

A discussion page to allow me to add my experiences using a Raspberry Pi 2/3/Zero V1.2/1.3 as a companion computer for Ardupilot/APM/Pixhawk flight boards. I will update my experiences as I learn, feel free to comment and offer tips, it's all free here.

3691291461?profile=original

3691291190?profile=original

I'm building a github for my experiments: https://github.com/benb0jangles/Companion-Pi

Drone Unit: Raspberry Pi Zero V1.3 + Pi Camera Module
img file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cVb3uX0f0dQTZzSmVISFdYd3M

Ground Unit: Raspberry Pi 2

img file: <to be added>

Goggles Unit: Raspberry Pi Zero V1.3

img file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cVb3uX0f0dakFpaTAyVF9HV2s

Ardupilot Technical Questions:

Also, if you have any technical code/hardware questions which you feel may take ongoing contributions and help over an extended timeframe, feel free to ask over on Ardupilot.org technical discussion page herehttp://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/companion-pi-2-3-zero/9460

I will update as I get by, please contribute by offering your 'plug & play' wifi adapters using Raspbian Jessie. Also, if you happen to pick up this project, and are working faster than me, then please send us your own .img file experiments. Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• LOL  Paul... its just bad KARMA ...... got it ?

• @ Patrick & Patrick +1 for: cost me $800 in 'opportunity', & pile of incompatible dongles.....

Personally looking forward to buy an DJI Mavic and a Parrot Disco AND a new hobby...

• @Patrick,  I must agree with you on this one :-)

Looking at the pile of incompatible dongles sitting on my shelves and multiply them by the numerous hours searching on google for drivers and stuff to compile-test-recompile-crash-recompile-unstable-discard-order new one and restart loop....

• @Ben,  the source is on Git.  There are a number of dependencies that you will also have to build on Linux, or get a binary dist. You'll need the Boost C++ library and QtGstreamer, and obviously, Gstreamer.  You need the source for GStreamer so you can build as it needs the headers.  The most difficult part is getting all the dependencies built, it will take me about two days of work to get the build env setup.

Your solution is inexpensive, but since most people have smart phones these days, you can setup android for the cost of your router and the google cardboard. The raspberry pi is just doing what your phone can already do, plus you have to assemble and configure your pi, which takes a bit of work, you have to add the 'time cost' factor to everything these days. For me to take a day to do something cost me $800 in 'opportunity', because I am not working generating actual revenue. 

It would be great though if you want to take a crack at porting to Linux.

• @benbojangles Can you please share some links to where to get the components at those prices.

• Considering installing Android Lollipop on my Jetson TK1 so I can have access to QTGstreamerHUD.apk through my goggles. Bit of an expensive hack for most peopls to have. Ultimate cheap DIY Digital FPV setup would be a Pi zero, 7" HDMI monitor Kit, and some cardboard + tape.

Is there a git for qtgstreamerhud I can take a look at? I may be able to do a linux build & test.

Patrick Duffy said:

@ben,   You can run the HUD on Android in case you didn't know.  I use it on my smartphone and the phone is connected directly to my router via wifi, and the phone is mounted in a Google Cardboard case you can buy for $5 online. There is also a VR version that spits the screen and you can run a dual-stream, provided you have the hardware that can support it.

I could port it to linux some time in the future, but just don't have much time right now. I am swamped with other stuff at the moment.

• http://elinux.org/Jetson/H264_Codec

benbojangles said:

Still no joy with Gstreamer on Jetson TK1 (L4T 21.3 + Grinch Kernel 21.3)

issues with avdec_h264 & h264parse - seems like there's ffmpeg/libav problem...

• @ben,   You can run the HUD on Android in case you didn't know.  I use it on my smartphone and the phone is connected directly to my router via wifi, and the phone is mounted in a Google Cardboard case you can buy for $5 online. There is also a VR version that spits the screen and you can run a dual-stream, provided you have the hardware that can support it.

I could port it to linux some time in the future, but just don't have much time right now. I am swamped with other stuff at the moment.

• Still no joy with Gstreamer on Jetson TK1 (L4T 21.3 + Grinch Kernel 21.3)

issues with avdec_h264 & h264parse - seems like there's ffmpeg/libav problem...

• Equipment Used:

Transmitter & Receiver

Pi Zero 1.3 with pi camera - Video Transmitter/Server = £15

Pi 2 (But Pi Zero can also be used) = (pi zero)£5

1x2gb + 1x16gb Sd cards x 2 = £6

2x wifi usb adapters = £2

OpenWrt Router

Pi2 = £15/£20

USB Wifi adapter = £1

1x 2gb sd card = £1.50

Future improvements

Autorun scripting

Hardware power on/off buttons + script

High power USB adapter for Openwrt router (increase range)

HUD Overlay

UDT for better video

Tiny brushless gimbal!

This reply was deleted.