Gauging Interest in the CNC Machine

Since we may be contracting 3rd party to make PCBs and supply parts for the CNC, I'd like to gauge how much real interest there is in buying one of these machines, when we're done.

Keep in mind that this is not a commitment, just think to yourself to see how serious you would be, and comment yay or nay.

Update June 8th, 20122:

Ok, just counting heads.  So far it's 17 people.  Let me know if I missed anyone.

My personal budget for this is $1000-$1200, so any higher, and I'm out, but of course would continue to do my best to get this done for everyone!

Here's a list of "yays" so far (again no commitment assumed):

Dany Thivierge 
 Monroe
 Ellison Chan
 Kevin Bouchard 
Eric Tweet
Eoin
 yovio
 John C. 
Fred
Ruwan
 Raversspesh
 924aussie Alan
 Terry 
arashi
Dave C
 Nick Joyce
 Andrew Adams

Drive System Survey

Franco Scipioni has set up a survey to gauge interest in which system we want to have on the system.

Access the survey here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2SRRRWT

To summarize:

Servo System:

• has rotational encoders to allow exact motor control
  • position encoders, so that tool head can be positioned precisely
  • uses DC motors
  • requires development or use of a custom circuit board to drive the motors
  • more expensive solution

Stepper System

• no rotational encoders, so will not allow exact motor control
  • position encoders, may still be possible
  • uses stepper motors
  • no custom circuit boards needed, motor systems easily available
  • cheaper than servo system

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am in but it will have to be in some sort of kit form to get to Australia

• I'm in too!! great idea

• Dany, unlike kickstarter, all the members are asked to contribute their expertise.  This is a group effort, not some dreamer with an idea, asking people to contribute money so he can live out his dream.  We fail or succeed, together.  But, I think we have enough skilled people to be able to pull it off.

I'm in too :-)

• I would be in on one as well.

Just to throw an idea out there, I wonder if it would be possible to have an "interchangeable machining head" that you could swap an extruder in as well.  

Bed and ways would all move the same...not sure if tolerances can be maintained, etc...just a thought.

Nice effort guys, if you need help sourcing/organizing or researching things, let me know what I can do to help.

JC

• I'm in.

• In the pursuit to make a better mouse trap one that is affordable and within reach of the average Jo. I admire the enthusiasm and  pure genius you guys  have put into the project If the project is to remain in cyber space there is no limit to how much$ can be spent or what the machine can do or what could be added to it (lasers etc). However when the practicality of reality steps in it is going to cost more than 50 to 200 Dollars  The machining on the parts will be more than that even if the material

is free.It only becomes practical with Volume 10 units? 20units?and it has to be better than what is already out there and the price. $1K ? $2K  $2K is a lot of $ to the average Jo.I think you guys should keep going develop software that will revolutionize the industry  (you are already on the edge )invent a machine like nothing else out there  come up with a set of drawings for the machine . then sell the software and drawings to a manufacturer  that is already has the tooling in place to make the machines and each of you that helped develop it gets one for free. (maby a royalty!) If you start cutting corners to keep the costs down it will go no where . Unless when you get to the drawing stage every body makes their own in their own time .Life lessons learned  If you start with junk you will end with Junk  if you don't do it right the first time because you are in a hurry you will have lots of thime to do it right the second time  go cheap you will spent twice as much replacing it .Don't give up keep going.My computing skills are so bad I wouldn't even know how to turn it on?You guys have a great day!

free.it
  • I shall take one!

• If anyone had any doubts, I'm in.

• Are the drawings/sketches close to final yet?

Did we come up with a ball park estimate of the price?

I've been accumulating hardware for my 'next' machine anyway so getting in with this group would not be hard.

I completely commit to a 'not a commitment'. ;)

This reply was deleted.