Crash. Need help reading log

On maybe my 7th or 8th flight with the Iris+ I experienced a crash.

I'm pretty sure it was human error (it always is), but from my perspective at the time, it appeared that the Iris just suddenly decided it wanted to land, which is exactly what it did - in a tree. 

Would someone be kind enough to take a looking at these logs let me know what I did wrong?

I managed to follow instructions and retrieve the logs using Mission Planner on a Windows PC.  I even managed to view the logs in Mission Planner.  I *think* I breached the Geo Fence and the Iris+ decided to land (not RTL).  

I'm still so new to the Iris+ that I'm little more than a monkey pressing buttons and comprehending nothing.  I can get mission planner to show me the logs.  I can get it to create some pretty graphs from a pre-selected list.  But I don't really understand any of it.

Flight Recap:

Its unfortunate.  I stayed over open ground all day.  This was the first flight where I ventured out over some trees.  Not even that far, just 20 or 30 feet.  I'd estimate the Iris+ was 2 or 3 hundred yards from me.  Probably less.  It was about 100 feet above ground (I'm guessing).  As the Iris slowly descended, I tried to gain altitude, but got no response.  I was able to yaw with the left stick, but it just would not respond to throttle to ascend.  

It settled into some branches 30 feet high.  Before long a gust of wind blew it to the ground.  Minor damage, the plastic interface plate between the Iris and the gimbal broke.

Other Info:

- Iris+

- Tarrot 2D gimbal,

- GoPro4,

- FPV kit

- Droid Planner (on Galaxy S4)

- Mission Planner (on PC - only used to download logs)

Logs:

- see attached

2015-01-05 12-13-23.kmz

2015-01-05 12-13-23.log

2015-01-05 12-13-23.log.gpx

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This brings up a interesting point.  There is no real indication that geofencing has been breached.  I programmed a mission some time ago and started it only to have it come back and land at my feet.  Only after looking at the logs to determine what I programmed incorrectly did I notice the RTL with no indication as to why.

Unlike failsafe that changes the light and makes a sound do you know its coming back.

• Well that's interesting. I assumed that if I had been listening to Droid planner that it would give me a verbal indication.

I should be back up in the air this week. I plan to do a lot of testing on Geofence and regaining control, etc.
    • You are correct, every instance I have had of a breach of the geofence, the nice lady on the device let me know return to launch has been initiated. 

• The log shows clearly that the fence was breached and was doing an RTL.  Unfortunately it happened when it was directly above you.  Because you can reposition the copter while it is coming down to land you continued to fly it. As the copter was flying away from you it flattened out at 20 meters (65 feet) and hit a tree that was higher than that in the forest.  It had several to choose from.

You may want to up Return to Land Altitude to 30 meters(98 feet) for your environment.

RTL_ALT = 2000 to 3000

Mike

• @ Michael:
      Thank you. I'm curious if you have the same take on the log data once you see the video. I should have included the video in my original post.

In any case, the video shows my position relative to the drone, not very far, less than 300 yards, but definitely NOT directly above me when I lost control of the throttle. Unless you mean that I breached the vertical limit of the fence above me, then flew it horizontally (not noticing I'd already lost throttle) over the trees where it finally gave up trying to RTL, and decided to land. I read last nite that if you keep breaching the geofence, eventually the drone will stop trying to RTL, and instead will just land where it is.

The video also shows the Iris was indeed above the canopy and lowered itself into a tree. My position in the video is the launch point (where it should have been trying to return to).

Is it possible to tell from the logs what my geofence altitude and radius were set to?
    • @Dax

ok, i see the lines with PARM

thank you, learned something new

• You guys are awesome. 

The explination makes perfect sense and it fits with what I recollect.

In addition to what I've learned regarding the geofence, land reposition, switching flight mode to regain control, etc, I think there is another lesson from all this... If I'd had my phone with me, Droid planner would probably have warned me what was going on.  I was given this advice by the dealer who sold me the Iris (as he put it, droid planner is like having a co-pilot).  Unfortunately on this flight, my nephew had the phone and I was flying by site only.  

Thank you to everyone!

I should be back up and flying next week.

• @Erik

If you did not change your parameters since your crash, then you can have a look at them in MissionPlanner.

Connect your IRIS via USB to MissionPlanner and go to <Config/Tuning>, then select <Full Parameter Tree> search for FENCE and click on +

The origional setings of the IRIS+ should be FENCE_ALT_MAX = 100m and FENCE_RADIUS = 300m

Fence.JPG

• I Uploaded a video of the crash.
      https://vimeo.com/116290248

The password to view the video is: crash
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Eric,

I havnt checked the logs from your flight but if you did in fact reach the boundaries of the GeoFence and it began to LAND then you should go into Mission Planner and see if that was appropriate action for the IRIS+ to take based on the settings. GeoFencing

ToddH

This reply was deleted.