I was getting a little jello in GoPro footage from my Tarot T-2D gimbal, at certain angles under certain conditions. I had seen an image somewhere of a gimbal and some earplugs, though I didn't read the article. But I figured they were stuffing them into the dampers, so I gave it a shot. Worked really well!

I had some 32 db Radians earplugs I bought for the gun range (and sometimes for sleeping), and initially cut one plug into four pieces, one cut lengthwise and one across, then stuffed one piece inside of each of the dampers. That didn't seem like enough, so I did the same with another one, and that seemed to add enough oscillation resistance to do what I wanted.

Being somewhat gummy in consistency, earplugs act like shock absorbers against the tendency of bouncy rubber dampers to oscillate in response to vibrations.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First. Thanks for your question and comments. I am not an expert yet but I have a idea on your problem fix here. I've been through numerous props. Cf and abs. And I find when I take the time to balance them properly it takes the jello out. As I've learned from hrs of research here that vibrations can lead to a variety of issues that have beg results later. The ear plugs May be a temp solution. I'd def check those props. Especially CFs. P-ro
    • Thanks for the suggestion. Probably I could get smoother results if I balanced my props, but I just use plain old props that may or may not have been bent a little in the occasional flip landing. The main thing is that the dampers are too bouncy, so the earplug material, with its viscosity or whatever it's called, acts like a shock absorber and damps out damper vibrations. It's pretty much like the reason cars have both springs and shock absorbers.

So stuffing the dampers with earplug material means I don't have to spend time balancing, and I never have to worry about something becoming unbalanced and making jello.

This reply was deleted.