Elevation impact on IRIS+ flight times.

Just a reminder that flying at high elevation can have a HUGE impact on flight times and can result in sudden failure. I flew at 9,600' this past weekend and my loaded IRIS+ (gopro, tarot 2d gimbal, secondary GPS) got to about 5:45 before the battery could not maintain enough thrust to keep it airborne and started dropping quickly. No warning, of course, since plenty of charge remained. Fortunately I was not flying past the cliff edge or the IRIS would have been unrecoverable; as it was, I suffered a hard landing that broke a leg off and took part of the motor housing with it. The more you know!

I normally get about 12:30 flight times from the same craft at 3,500'.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Need a smart math guy to model the tradeoffs on this one

Its pretty well laid out here.  High altitude flying is as simple as 10x47 props and a few adapters.

https://www.cloud-surfer.net/2014/10/10/improving-lift-on-iris-with...

Cloud-Surfer
    • I'd expand his single test case into multiple Iris configs at various altitudes and temps and wind speeds, and then compile the tam readings.

Also, might want to add another dimension by testing various motor configs, altho if I read this right, he was using the Iris+ motor db. 

• Well that would certainly be ideal, but I doubt anyone is going to bother. Anyway, the 10 inch props worked for me in the Alps a couple weeks back. And I know other folks who've flown in the Rockies. Other than the hassle putting the props on and taking them off, I don't see a reason to go back to stock, even at low altitudes.
    • I'd bother if I was working at the altitudes Todd is talking about. My issue is the opposite, thick hot and humid air in the Houston area where the specialized quad copter prop 3dr supplies (note the upturned tips) work well...I have not had duration nor control problems. And like Todd...I have the tablet squawking or I fly tablet primary.
  • I had to head back down the mountain to make repairs.

3702046571?profile=originalNever underestimate a coat hanger, zip ties, and duct tape. The IRIS+ and Tarot gimbal were incredibly durable, that I was able to fly it for the final day of my road trip got me this...don't forget vibration dampening for emergency repairs like this, I neglected it and paid the jello price.

• I would try some 10 x 6 props

• 9600 feet? Why, may I ask, do you want to go high? (besides just wanting to get high) 

• That's where the building was that I wanted to fly. And I really wanted to film this:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridal_Veil_Falls_(Telluride)

at 10,200'.

• we are all high here in Colorado!!!

• 9,600' was the base altitude for the flight near the summit of Steens Mountain, Oregon.

This reply was deleted.