FAA N Number, Notary clarification

Does anyone have an N number for their IRIS yet? I've come across an issue that's stumping me.

To fly commercially, one needs a 333, a COA, and a registered aircraft with an N number (among other things). You cannot currently apply for a COA without an N number. According to this FAA guidance, getting an N number requires, among other things, "A full description of the UAS provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement."

Well, I just got a response from 3DR about getting such a Notarized statement from them, which consisted of this:

"Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics.
We are unable to provide you with the documentation you are requesting.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Have a great day!"

So what now? I can't comply with the FAA without that document, and it seems like kind of an absurd mandate. Is DJI providing notarized documents? Yuneec? What's going on here? Thanks for any insight.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, that does help.

Full list of Iris with N numbers here http://www.suasnews.com/drone-spotters/ maybe you could ask one of the folks that have already done it.

• Ha! That's a great resource, thanks.

• Justin, PM sent. Let's chat about this. 

• 3D Robotics

Hi Justin,  I do not believe any of the other manufacturers will provide that document either.  I know there are other folks in the community that have gotten their exemptions with their IRIS+ and Solo so I'll defer to them to tell you how they got it.  But my guess is that you can satisfy that requirement as the "applicant".  You can get the description from our description pages and then get the document notarized yourself.

• Thank you, that sure makes more sense then requiring manufacturers to provide something for every commercial craft they sell.

• Unless when they say "applicant", meaning me, they mean I can just take my user's manual to get Notarized?

This reply was deleted.