Iris+ first flight, can't stop flat spin

Took my first Iris+ flight today and as soon as it left the ground it started a slow flat spin to the left.  I was in LTR mode and it had 12 satelites at the time and I flew to about 20ft.  I tried to counter the spin with a little right yaw but it did not seem to have any effect. It also started to drift toward a tree so I decided to chop the throttle since due to the spin I could not control a lateral move.  I started the flight from a nice level surface.  I'm wondering if thi is a trim issue on the contoller.  I am a little reluctant to fly it again till I understand why it was spinning.  Any advice from veteran pilots?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is an IRIS+ and should be ready to fly out of the box.  The props had to be on correctly as they only go on one way so that leaves out the obvious errors.  One motor could be spinning slower than the others too.  Depends on how fast it was yawing to the left.

Mike

• 3D Robotics

Hi Steve, that's a bummer first flight of the day!

May I ask that you send the logs from the copter to help@3drobotics.com?  We'll get to the bottom of it for you!

• I think I found my issue.  The other symptom I had not mentioned was not being able to shut down the motors by moving the left lever down and left.  I was looking at the transmitter display screen when it is first powered on and before going to the telemetry screen.  It indicates the position of the trim and levers.  With the both levers centered and trim centered the screen is showing strong right rudder and now that I think back the copter was spinning to the right once it left the ground.  When I move the lever down and left, the indicator never goes fully into the lower left corner.  I suspect the copter is never seeing a shutdown signal and the rudder adjustment is causing the spin.  So my question now is how do you calibrate the levers on the transmitter?

• Not only the first flight of the day it was my first flight ever of the Iris+.  I have seen a lot of reference to sending log files but have no idea how to access them.  Are there instructions on how to read and copy them?

• Never mind I found the instructions on how to retreive log files.

• I have been unable to relocate the instructions.  Can some one provide a link to instructions on how to retrive the log files please?  One other question is where is the SD card located on the Iris+?

• Mission Planner is installed and using the USB cable that shipped with the Iris+ I connected the cable from the Iris+ to my laptop.  The laptop recognizes a device and the Iris+ lights up and beeps when the cable is attached.  In Mission Planner I click on the connect button on the upper right corner but Mission Planner times out and I get the following message.

"Timeout waiting for autoscan/no mavlink device found"

Frankly I have no idea what to do from here.  Any advice?

• Finally!  This time I allowed windows to search for drivers and it loaded them with no problem.  I had no idea that these needed to be loaded first.  In any case MP now connects to the PX4.  This feels like a scavenger hunt looking for information.  A little piece of info here, a little piece there.  Is there any one place where there is a user manual for the Mission Planner software?  The online help button in MP is absolutly worthless it just lists some URLs.  Dax, thank you for taking the time to explain.

• Steve,

Were any calibration checks done before you flew? It sounds like the compass may be in need of calibration.

ToddH

This reply was deleted.