IRIS+ flew off while in loiter - logs linked

Hi All,

New IRIS+ owner here that's *really* been enjoying flying for the past several days.  I've been really impressed with the Iris+, and am having a lot of fun learning.

I haven't had any real problems (other than feeling a little underpowered with the gimbal / gopro) until today.  While I was flying it around the yard today in loiter mode (very slow flight, low altitude), it just shot off to the right about 40+ feet and hit a tree in my neighbors yard.  

I completely lost all control, and the Iris was not responding to any input from the remote.  I've verified that it was in loiter mode, batteries were good, I wan't more than 20 feet from the unit, so the RF signal should have been fine.

From what I can tell so far, I ended up with a broken arm (right rear), and maybe a broken gimbal (it was twitching a lot - it seems better now, but I won't know for sure until i fly again).

I believe I followed the right steps to get the last flight logs from the unit ( if not, please forgive the newb here - I promise I searched and spent time reading before posting :-) )

If anyone with more experience that I have so far would take a look and offer any input on what went wrong, I'd love to know.  I've linked to a zip file below.

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwaeiqiq5dkm6g8/2014-11-08%2016-31-22.log.zip?dl=0

Any questions, or anything else I can do the help with the diagnosis, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Ed

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

Hi Ed,

Man, that sounds real crummy.  You can open up a ticket today by sending in the description above and the logs to help@3drobotics.com.  We'll get it sorted out for you!

Also, can I ask you to have your friend who experienced the same thing to open up a ticket and send in his logs too?  I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

• Thanks, Vu - doing that right now.

My friend was flying my Iris.  I'll dig through the logs and see if I can find the other occurrence.

-Ed

• UPDATE - Request sent, and I got the auto-response from the ticket system.  No ticket ID, but the subject is:

New IRIS+ "FlyAway" in Loiter mode

Thanks again, Vu

• 3D Robotics

Just checked the system, ticket #42646.  I'll have the tech team look at that tomorrow morning.  Thanks again Ed!

• Hey Vu -

Would you mind taking a look at the ticket when you can?  I heard back, and the diagnosis is not what I expected, or what the telemetry shows ( he claimed I was in full control of the Iris during the crash ).

I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

• 3D Robotics

Hi Ed,

I'm reviewing the ticket with my team and I'm asking for clarification and a better explanation of what made them come to that conclusion.

Please hold tight.

• ^^^ THIS is what reassures me about buying from 3DR ^^^

• I agree, Tim.

I'll be sure to update this thread once I learn more from 3DR on next steps.

I got a mail yesterday saying engineers are looking into it, but it may be a few days before they get back to me.  I'm really trying to be patient, I miss my Iris :-)

• Thank you sir! :-)

• Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I will call 3DR support on Monday and see what they think.  I already had props and arms on order, but I am a bit concerned about the GPS "glitch".

When I was telling my friend what happened last night, he said the same thing had happened to him when he was flying it Friday afternoon ( I had ran home to grab some batteries off the charger).  Fortunately he was in a wide open park down the street, and he said it recovered after a few seconds and was fine.

Just curious - would switching into STD mode have allowed me to recover in this case (assuming I had more than ~1.5 seconds of reaction time before it hit the tree)

This reply was deleted.