I wanted to share what I have been working for the past month to properly mount a camera to the IRIS+ (or original IRIS). I never liked the idea of flying a camera like the Canon S100 (or any camera) without some protection and vibration isolation. All take-offs and landings stir debris that can impact an open lens. And any type of crash or flip during landing has the potential to damage the camera.

When 3DR came with the mapping kit for the X8 I was hoping that they would sell the camera case and mount to everybody. That's not the case. And the price for the mapping kit is high and I don't need more telemetry radios and a Pixhawk. I'm referring to this kit.

The mount and case are very similar to the ones offered in the kit. The mount has an isolated top plate with a GoPro mount to latch the camera case. The bottom plate is screwed to the adapter plate that goes to the belly of the IRIS. The GoPro mount from the top plate goes through a hole in the bottom plate. The plates have 10 mm holes to add bigger rubber dampeners.  

3691181850?profile=original

The case is designed around the Canon S100, but similarly shaped cameras will fit. There are 5 mm in all directions to add a layer of foam. The white label in the front is where I'm going to add another hole. The red sharpie marks in the back are where I'm going to expand the holes for easier button pressing and screen viewing. You can also glue a filter for lens protection. There are clear filters and UV filters, for example. The diameter of the filter you see below is 58 mm.3691181909?profile=originalThe pictures below show how it fits on the IRIS+. There is a clearance of around 2 cm from the ground to the lens tube, so I'll most likely add legs that are 5 cm taller. There are 2 leg designs for the IRIS in Thingiverse where 8-mm carbon fiber rods can be added. Again, the white label you see is where I will add another hole to manipulate the shutter, the dial, and the power button.

3691181989?profile=originalThe complete set weighs 322 g (IRIS+ maximum payload is 400 g). The weight contribution of the camera is 193 g and the camera case and mount weigh 130 g. Well worth the weight for camera protection and vibration isolation. Weight will go slightly down with the next version I got printing (2 expanded holes and 1 new hole).

I will test the flight performance soon. We just got a big snow storm so I won't fly until next weekend. The design is very solid, and I'm expecting no major issues. I'm hoping that the weight distribution doesn't affect the flight performance.

I have another design for the back portion of the camera case with a longer GoPro mount, so the camera could easily be pointed forward if desired.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thank you! I'm printing the mount now.

• Anyone able to post the files again the link is broken.

• I will be posting new files in the next few days, had to fix a couple of issues.

• Thanks Eric, Much appreciated.

• My link to Eric's files is still up. I would like the SX260 version (top plate) if it is in the works. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44025248/Case%20and%20Mount%20S...

• That's amazing!!  For one, I didn't know the Iris+ could handle the payload of anything besides a GoPro, never even thought to put  a different camera on it.  Mine is hooked up w/ the gimbal and the live view which gives me about ten minutes of flight time.  

The other thing is I'm about to upgrade to get better shots for photogrammetry and have been very worried about the dust storm for a DSLR.  Even if I place something on the ground for take off, it doesn't mean it's going to land on it.  The GoPro takes a beating for sure.  

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking about w/ a DSLR.  I've been putting the GoPro on video + 5 sec for photogrammetry & taking the video apart.  It's been working pretty well.  

Definitely something I need to think about for the upgrade.  I think I'll just call companies & see what they offer?  I saw that video that 3DR is coming out with a new UAV next week.  Maybe that has camera casing?  

• Thanks a lot !

• Here are my results of the Canon S100 with KAP_UAV script. (In the above mount) 

Height 30m

Speed: 11mps

Pic every 2 seconds

and poop... Any thoughts? 

3691191734?profile=original

• Nice setup man! What software do you use to composite the images?

• Agisoft PhotoScan Professional Edition

This reply was deleted.