IRIS Run Amuk

Hello all,

I am not new to APM or arducopter, but I wanted something easy so I bought an Iris+. I have flown about 10 batteries and it was flying great until this afternoon.

I had one good flight, landed and put a new pack in and took off in Alt hold mode (since I am using the TX as it was setup). I Switched to loiter mode and the IRIS hovered fine for a minute, and then started acting unusual. It started to not respond to my inputs, so I switched to RTL and the IRIS started to climb and fly away. It was like I had very little input into what it was doing. I switched back into Alt Hold mode with no change. I managed to get it to come back to me and got all the way down to a few inches off the ground, put throttle to min, and it proceeded to accelerate sideways and slammed into the side of my house.

This is quote unnerving and I really need to get to the bottom of it before I fly again. I am running Copter 3.2.1. I have attached my log, if anyone has any insight into what the heck was going on I would greatly appreciate it.

-Steve

30.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just sent the logs off to 3DR, I will let you guys know when I hear something.

-Steve

• Following thread. If you send report to 3dr keep us posted on outcome
    • Will do. I am a novice at reviewing logs, I will try to find something.

Thanks.

• This is what the auto log analyzer outputs:

est: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
      Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
      Test: Brownout = GOOD -
      Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (208.34%)
      Max mag field length (665.81) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
      Test: Empty = GOOD -
      Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERRs found: CRASH FLT_MODE
      Test: GPS = GOOD -
      Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.67, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
      Test: Parameters = GOOD -
      Test: PM = FAIL - 19 slow loop lines found, max 10.60% on line 1358
      Test: Pitch/Roll = FAIL - Roll (-60.35, line 43367) > maximum lean angle (30.00)
      Test: Thrust = GOOD -
      Test: VCC = GOOD -

Not sure exactly what to make of this.

• Wow, same behavior that mine had a few days ago that resulted in a crash into my house and then the neighbors yard destroying my gimbal and landing legs. Sent the logs to 3DR and they told me I did not calibrate it correctly after upgrade to 3.2.1

I also had a fail for the PM test, have no clue what that is?here is the email from 3DR...
      Hello Phillip,

I'm sorry for taking too long. I just want to make sure that I provide you with all the information that I found.In this case the first time that was flown it was on 12-16-2014 in FLORIDA.That means that you are out of warranty.When the first customer was flying he had 3.2-IRIS firmware.When it was in OHIO the firmware change to 3.2.1 the three flights that you made on May show that you had issues.The Pixhawk is working properly I could not find anything wrong.Remember that when you update the firmware you have to do the following calibration and select the correct frame type and parameters.Make sure you check the trims and do the stick calibration on the Transmitter.
      http://found.In/
      See related links to what you are looking for.
  • What is your RTL height set to? Looks to me like there was an EKF FS error which caused it to go into LAND then you switched to RTL so that would explain it shooting up if your RTL height is say 25m. It then tried to land again (EKF error 2) and was in either AltHold or Loiter when it crashed.

• I'm sorry, what does an EKF FS error mean?

• Extended Kalman Filter. This is the algorithm that Pixhawk uses to convert sensor inputs into control outputs. You can get any number of EKF Failsafe (GPS/Baro/IMU) errors when it finds a discrepancy that makes no sense. Your dataflash logs will likely reveal which one. And yes, definitely do not fly until you have figured it out. (cannot look at your logs now as I am on a Mac)

• My RTL height is set to 60 feet.

• Steve... put in a trouble ticket at the Iris support website off 3drobotics.  That's step one... there are, other contributors who will assist on the site..but us Iris users with unexplained behavior like yours need to keep documenting the issues with 3DR so we get this issue fixed.

tks

Dave

This reply was deleted.