IRIS Tarot Gimbal Users

I'm looking for feedback from other IRIS user who have installed the Tarot gimbal avaialable as an option when ordereing your IRIS.  Some of the things I have noticed are:

1. Gimbal does not level all the way, slightly tilted.

2. Poor performance (Jello, etc.) when compared to other quads I've flown with same gimbal set-up.

3. Your experiences?

Please add your gimbal videos ro issues here so we can compile.  Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Iris is much more laterally responsive with the new PIDs.

Maintaining altitude is still tough.

• Cool, I loaded the params.. Do I have to write it or something or just load it from mandatory ?

Too windy to fly today to test. 

• Yes after loading or manually changing parameters in Mission Planner, write them to the Iris.

You may want to then do a refresh and check that everything is the same. Any time you use the little drop down box to pick a parameter file to load and then write, you'll get a pop up showing any delta between your current and new params.

• http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6746

• Developer

If you are flying the Tarot on an Iris, you might get better results if you disconnect the Roll wire (red) and leave that input open.

• We'll give that a try.

• I been having the same problem too.

• Put some liquid electrical tape on the +ve and -ve wires where they join the board. Ive had two smokes/shorts and i finally worked out why. The exposed wire on my setup is greater than the distance between both solder blobs and sometimes they crooss and bang a short. Lucky for me this happened on the ground but im surprised nobody else had the same problem given its a fault in the manufacturing process.

• mP1- Yes we hot glue the connections to beef up the joint and protect it.

• I had the identical trouble when I attempted to bind a Spektrum remote antenna to the Pixhawk from an AR10000 receiver. When that didn't work out I put it all back together and reloaded the Pixhawk firmware.

The gimbal acted as you describe only some 30 degrees from horizontal. When exploring a solution, it appeared that each time I calibrated the accelerometers in the Pixhawk the gimbal would find the horizontal position until the power was cycled.

I tried the Tarot dongle to connect with the gimbal control board with the intention of reloading firmware 1.4, (by the way, I use a Window 7 VM on a new MacPro) and the Tarot Windows software would terminate in an error immediately after the program launched.

Looking at the Pixhak setup in APM Planner 2.0, I set the tilt to channel 6 and 9 as the online manual (http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/) indicated. The gimbal tilt worked as expected. However it wasn't until I pushed the "Stabilize Pan" (US spelling) checkbox that the GoPro locked on the horizon through power cycles.

Good luck.
This reply was deleted.