New IRIS - Broken Telemetry Antenna

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new IRIS.  When I received the unit the telemetry antenna was loose and wobbled about freely.  I assumed this was designed to give it flexibility and freedom of motion.

I flew the IRIS approximately 3 times before today (with no real hard landings to mention).

Today I performed my first autopilot mission using telemetry.  The first waypoint was reached successfully and was on its way to the second when I lost telemetry connection on laptop.  I started to bring the unit back by RC and when I got it close, I saw the antenna fall to the ground.  After a few minutes of searching the tall grass I found the broken piece.

My question is: Is this something I can repair?  I've attached a photo for feedback.  Has anyone else experienced the wobbly antenna and if so is there a way to "harden" the connection to prevent this type of failure in the future?  If unfixable can I order just this one piece and if so how will I "reunite" or pair it with the other receiver?

Thanks so much for any suggestions as I'm anxious to move forward with testing.

mb

20140723_002805[1].jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is OT to your question about repairing it... but since you mention it was loose, I wonder if it flopped over and contacted the prop causing it to snap off.  I just check and not all positions will clear the prop.

It may not be a question about strengthening the connection but just making sure the antenna is fully screwed on and definitely not flopping around once you fix it.

• I have had my iris antenna come loose twice in flight. Im always afraid of cranking down too hard when tightening the antennas onto these small, board mounted hookups. I have taken to using a small piece of electrical tape as a extra precaution untill I can upgrade the antenna 

• if you open the case up and take a look, you may be able to solder it back on as it looks like that male RMA connector got ripped off at the solder joint. If that's the case, just reflowing the solder should make it as good as new. I have had to do this with a fpv transmitter that I have and as soon as i did it, it went from completly unusable to perfect signal

• I lost mine as a result of a hard flip over landing. The traces came off the board so I was unable to repair it.  I ordered a replacement radio from 3DR for 50.00 us.  I also got a short cable with RP-SMA connectors, one female and one male. I mounted the antenna on the top shell right above the safety switch and used the short cable to connect the antenna to the radio.  I have had numerous flips (I'm not the best pilot) since then with no problem.

Good luck

• Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion.  If its not too much trouble would you please post a pic of your mod as an example?

Thanks so much!

• 3702660281?profile=original

Here is a pic of the antenna mounted on the top shell.  It used to be straight but several top down events mis-shaped the shell.  Works great and only hurts your eye if you look to long. LOL

• Kevin,

Nice work, thanks for posting!  Ha, ha looks great and from this perspective I don't even notice the mis-shaped shell.  Thanks for sharing!

mb

This reply was deleted.