My IRIS comes tomorrow, so I'm asking this blink. A Quad-newbie.

Instead of buying replacement batteries from 3DR I picked up the 5200mAh MultiStar batteries from hobbyking(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56839__Multistar_High_Capacity_3S_5200mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html)...
I thought I remember reading a discussion when using a higher mAh batteries that I needed to update the low voltage alert, or something like that.
Am I making something up, or is there something I need to do when using a higher capacity battery?
Thanks for your help, can't wait to pop my cherry tomorrow.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That battery only has a discharge rate of 10 C. The standard IRIS battery is rated at 30 C and the 3DR DIY quad battery is rated at 35 C. That means that the battery might not be able to keep up with the current demand of the motors.

Let me know if you notice any significant performance drop as a 5200 mAH battery for $27 is a steal.

• First of all, I love the IRIS I've been a little skeptical all week watching the fedex website getting closer and closer, but first time I got that thing in the air, I was hooked!

...as far as the batteries: performance-wise, I could not see even the slightest difference between the stock battery and the MultiStar. As far as duration, I didn't actually measure it, but if I had to guess, I was somewhere between 11-15 minutes with the stock battery, and seemed like low 20s for the 5200mAh, my tablet said 28minutes, but I think that continues counting even while on the ground.

But this is coming from someone that only has 3 flights and one day under his belt, let me get some real numbers together and let you know, but like you said for $27, it's a steal, and that's why I bought 3 of them.
      p.s. Obviously the battery fit just fine, the cable was a little log, but I was able to situate it in the small area beneath the battery compartment.
  • You would need to change the battery capacity in the power module configuration.  This is how it references % remaining.  It is also a factor in the battery failsafe if you choose to use it.

• I think I saw something about that too. Should be in APM/Mission Planner if anything. I'm fairly new too though.

Let me know what time you get out of that battery. I am interested to see how it performs.

Here's something about calibrating the battery voltage (have to scroll down), http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-measuring-battery-voltage-a...
This reply was deleted.