Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank's to clarificate Gary, I misunderstand Philip when mention Pixhawk 1 comment (my bad english), I use a pixracer in a small build and looks as great option with small space, we can have modern sensors in a little cheap build :). 

Gary McCray said:

Hi Cala, 3DR has already sold out of Pixhawk 1 and is telling people to look for Pixhawk 2.

I do not believe that the original Pixhawk will be available anywhere, although there are plenty of Chinese clones and more robust controllers made by others that are compatible like VRBrain, Erle Brain 2, Navio and Pixracer.

This page references them, but original Pixhawk and original PX4 are no longer available and will not be.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-choosing-a-flight-controlle...

The Pixhawk 2 is a non 3DR project by ArduPilot developers that should fill in more or less directly for Pixhawk.

Pixracer can be used up to hexacopters, but not larger and it is approaching full compatibility, it is a desireable platform because it is inexpensive and seems to be widely adopted.

If I am wrong or any of you know any thing different, please let us know here.

Cala said:

Pixhawk 1 is going to be continue selling?

• Thank's to clarificate Gary, I misunderstand Philip when mention Pixhawk 1 comment (my bad english), I use a pixracer in a small build and looks as great option with small space, we can have modern sensors in a little cheap build. 

Gary McCray said:

Hi Cala, 3DR has already sold out of Pixhawk 1 and is telling people to look for Pixhawk 2.

I do not believe that the original Pixhawk will be available anywhere, although there are plenty of Chinese clones and more robust controllers made by others that are compatible like VRBrain, Erle Brain 2, Navio and Pixracer.

This page references them, but original Pixhawk and original PX4 are no longer available and will not be.

The Pixhawk 2 is a non 3DR project by ArduPilot developers that should fill in more or less directly for Pixhawk.

Pixracer can be used up to hexacopters, but not larger and it is approaching full compatibility, it is a desireable platform because it is inexpensive and seems to be widely adopted.

Cala said:

• Developer
    G'day Gary
    Yes, working with the crew on this.

Re the Baro...
    I suspect temperature will play a bigger role, but it is sure helpful in logs to have both barometers
  • Hi Philip,

Pixhawk 2 cube looks really good with tripled sensors.

Seems like it could make sensor failure or ambiguity much less of a problem.

Do you have current connection with Randy and Tridge regarding implementing these in Ardupilot or are you going to be doing that yourself?

Also on the 2 Baros, is one mounted on top and the other on the bottom of the board or both on one side.

The reason I ask is because a recent test by Lightware indicated quite different response for top or bottom mounting that could possibly be used to cancel each other out and increase noticeably altitude determination accuracy. 

Best regards,

Gary

• Hi Cala, 3DR has already sold out of Pixhawk 1 and is telling people to look for Pixhawk 2.

Cala said:

Choosing a Flight Controller — Copter documentation
  • Pixhawk 1 is going to be continue selling?

• Developer
    Delivery is still not locked down. We are just waiting for housings to arrive.
    Ardupilot.com has the wiki. We will be updating the pictures and text to suit both Pixhawk 1 and Pixhawk 2
  • Phillip a question. I was almost done ordering a Pixhawk 2 on the website; but before I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

Are they available to be shipped yet?

and do you have any documentation or instructions on how to get started?

Thanks

• Developer
    Getting close :)
    I am in a plane at the moment flying to Taiwan where we will be building them.

First run should be in the next two weeks, with the Beta test run to follow.

Beta test will be the first batch for sale
  • Not quite yet I don't think.  Couple weeks.

Pmarche said:

Phillip, I was trying to buy one on the website, but I did not see the "buy" click image. Is there a way to buy one already?

This reply was deleted.