Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OT again… I can understand why 3dr decided not to support ALL the platforms. Trad heli, rover etc.. they don’t even sell those vehicle platforms! It’s really amazing they did at all. Not sure maybe they didn’t monetarily support all the platforms but surely they did some other than just copter. I get the idea they continue to support copter [ Randy and I hope he has some help ! ] which obviously is related to the solo. I have always been amazed at the professionalism of the Devs and the civility of the forum. Thanks Phillip for the details of who you are etc. Can’t wait to see more details of the Pixhawk 2!!! Good luck!! 

• Distributor

thank you very much for the information and pics on Pixhawk 2 - I am very much looking forward to it :-)

• Me to Felix,you have the best shop for original Pixhawk in EU...

• Distributor

• MR60

Thx for providing some info on the future of Pixhawk as it is very very unclear and confused right now ! 

Due to what appears to be a major political and strategy changes from 3DR. I dare also say we hear a contradictory information from 3DR as Chris Anderson wrote himself on this diydrones that 3DR will continue producing and selling Pixhawk, etc.

So what is going on ? Will 3DR continue selling/produce Pixhawk(2)? Who owns what about Pixhawk ? Is Pixhawk open source hardware as I thought it was and designed by ETH (I hear now that "Philip Rowse" is the designer ? Who are you Philip : an individual diy maker, affiliated to some interest or company? please, a full disclosure would be appreciated)

Side question : does this mean you will stop producing or replace the recently announced Pixracer with a future stripped down pixhawk2 version ?

Really, I believe 75.000 members of diydrones deserve some open and transparent communication of what is happening behind the scene with and between major actors, namely 3DR, dronecode foundation. We need to have a clear roadmap and lifecyle planning of all of the versions/variants of the Pixhawk flight controller. 

You're saying you were working for 3DR and you're not sponsored anymore. You're not alone apparently (cf Robert's post, etc) : we thus also need a clear positionning of major/critical people for this community since 3DR stopped active support of this DIY community (by stopping sponsoring key people and stopping production of key hardware drone components such as 3DR radios and Pixhawk, if I understood right),  like Randy, Craig, Robert, Tridge, etc...

• Developer

Hi Hugues,
      Who am I... Good question, though I don't tend to code, I have been part of the core Dev team on Ardupilot for nearly 4 years, most Tuesday's I do the notes for the development team weekly calls. I have worked on Ardupilot and PX4 hardware back to mods on the APM2.6.2 (identified and fixed the level shifter issue) I started The PXF project, (which ERLE Robotics have continued) and well over two years ago, started on the Pixhawk 2 PX4 / Ardupilot cooperative project. Pixhawk 2 was always intended for release to the general public.

With the design of Solo, they went for Pixhawk 2 as the Autopilot. This unfortunately delayed the ability of our team to release this to the public.

What people failed to realise, is I joined Ardupilot and PX4 to support the community, not a corporate entity.

Regarding PixRacer... It is awesome work by AUAV, Both products will be equally supported by the team. And Both PixRacer and Pixhawk 2 will be directly contributing to the team.

Phillip K and myself are both part of the PX4 hardware group and 100% support each other... That being said there is room for different platforms, Pixhawk 2 is not a 1 solution for all problems. There is also the upcoming QFlight, and other systems out there...

Regarding supported Devs... There have been up to 20 supported Devs in the team, but now we are down to two.... That is OK! As a team, we are finding other ways to fund ourselves. And companies that use Ardupilot are starting to step up and "adopt a Dev"

But we are well off topic here.

As far as who Pixhawk is? Lorenz owns The Pixhawk name, I designed Pixhawk 2 as part of the PX4 Team. And I own the copyright to my drawings of Pixhawk 2, which are licensed under the Cc-BY-SA 3.0 agreement.

• MR60

Thx for the info and much clearer for me now.

Impatient to try pixhawk2...

• Randy and Tridge?? what is going to be their future??? 

Philip; I much apreciate that two devs continue here, for me Pixhawk without devs, it's only a piece of nothing; Perhaps it's usefull to have a list in the forum from what controllers manufacturer are supporting devs so, in owr possibilities we can choose that ones, and, perhaps more manufacturers want to support devs to be in the list? Chinnese included. 

• ok...when and where we will be able to get one?

• I second these questions... What's the timing and how will the distribution be done? I understood production of the Pixhawk2s or whatever the name will be, did not start yet and development of the supporting boards is still ongoing? Am I correct?

This reply was deleted.