Is there consensus on the best ground station platform? I'm a Mac user (and have downloaded APM2 at home) but hear lots that Windows using Mission Planner is superior.
I need a new laptop for 'work' - should I go windows or stick to Mac?
Is there consensus on the best ground station platform? I'm a Mac user (and have downloaded APM2 at home) but hear lots that Windows using Mission Planner is superior.
I need a new laptop for 'work' - should I go windows or stick to Mac?
You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!
Replies
Speaking of screens.. I know what you mean about trouble seeing the darn screens outside on a bright day. I recently bought a Taranis radio and was really happy when I noticed how easy it is to see the display!! It's NOT color... It's NOT a touch screen and all I can say is GOOD!! in fact it's an older style display but one advantage is how well you can see it. Even in direct sun no problem. I set it up with a Teesny telemetry board and a lua script to show all the data from the pixhawk. Of course you cannot program missions or change parameters but for just flying and being able to know what you battery is doing, how many sats, how far way it is [ and which was to turn it to aim home!] , altitude, speed etc etc it works really slick. You can still use the other telem port on the pixhawk for the mavlink.
I can recommend a nexus 7 2013 version for a good tablet to run Droiddplanner or Tower.
As far as the comments go about a DOS based system. I don't think windows 7/8 are DOS based systems.
DOS based system haven't existed for years but you probably wouldn't be aware of that if you used a Mac.
If by computer you mean desktop or laptop. However, I 'd be surprised if there was a single Windows server on the path your message took to be posted on this forum (and I 'd be curious as to what the OS of the server hosting this site is). Also, since smartphones, tablets, cars, home routers and other appliances, watches etc are all computers, I 'd suggest that most computers run variations on the theme of Unix/Linux kernels (which includes OS X). Just saying.
And the vast majority of people on this site seem to be able to manage a courteous conversation with a view to helping one another. Unfortunately, not all.
Hi Paul,
as an OSX Lion user Mission planner for Windows hands down is the best at present..
runs great under Windows 8 running in a VMWARE Fusion 5.0-> 6.0 VM.. no windows laptops required!
VS2012 also nicely compiles up the code for the latest git pull from michael or local tweaks..
I use Tower(current) when in the field though on an android 5.01 tablet..very portable solution even if no rally points supported yet :( and ADT to compile the latest git pull works very nice under OSX as do the code builds
hope the above helps
hzl
I had a similar problem getting all of the ground station / calibration / gimbal controller software to work on my Mac.
Rather than spend money on a new laptop just for that software, you should look at using Bootcamp to create a windows machine on your Mac. It splits the hard disk into Mac and Windows partitions, then you buy (or acquire!) a Windows disk to install on the second partition. Then all you would need to do is hold down the option key when you power on and you can choose whether to start the laptop in Mac or Windows mode.
Hi Paul,
I work with the Windows system for many years. Michael Obone it constantly updated with great possibilities. So I advise you buy a Windows laptop :)
Ps. I work out with an Android Tablet (NEXUS 3-G) and the Droidplanner (http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/announcing-beta-releases-for-dr...) works also excellent .. best regards from Germany, ciao Klaus
-
1
-
2
of 2 Next