Replies

• By "FPV telemetry" I'm referring to streaming video and other sensor data from UAV to GCS and simultaneously remote piloting said UAV from said GCS... I don't know what "BRLOS", I assume something to do with Line-Of-Sight?  I just started my UAV engineering studies, thanks for your reply.

• ok, forget streaming video over Iridium (any decent qualityat least)

• Not sure about streaming video

but you can try Inmarsat, Turaya, SatComGlobal and more sat comm players.

I am just testing Iridium GO! apps.

Tell if if your are interested to know all about features, options and implementation into TAWS navigated drones

If you own Iridium pager let me know your number to make some message sending tests.

darius

manta103g@gmail.com

• I have studied 3G Video calls in smartphones in Madrid, Barcelona, Washington and interest is below zero.

3G video support in smartphone is low quality, low frame rate video not fit for real-time mapping.

Better use 2 cameras, one for live control of your UAV and another one for recording high-resolution still images or fullHD video.

Replace 3G by LTE to get better data transfer ( LTE is not supported at regions where flying drones is allowed)

darius

manta103g@gmail.com

• You don't need streaming video.
      If you use the gps and compass data and feed it into google earth 3d view , you now have synthetic vision.
      That works day or night and bad weather.
      I have run telemetry down to 1200baud successfully as this is a reasonable expectation for satellite data.

Also, the clip on satellite cases for iPhone and galaxy phones are a cheaper outlay.
    • I don't know about any where else in the world, but here in Australia we can only connect to satellite data at 2.4kb and expect 1.2kb transfer rate.
      Video requires 56kb minimum and 256kb for TV quality.

The rules here are the drone must be under pilot control at all times, meaning vision and fly by wire.
      The power output on data links is also heavily restricted and ranges of 150km just aren't possible.

So that is why the synthetic vision is so important to me.
      It runs at 1.2kb.
    • Cell phone in video call mode would also be a secondary camera link for emergencies if the main camera failed.

I was looking at using a cellphone for outback joe to do my mapping.
      By setting the phone to automatically store photos in the cloud, it saves on telemetry again by holding them in the camera until it gets good enough signal by gaining altitude or changing location enough.
      Panorama shots automatically merge images for strip mapping.
    • I have not implemented this as I am not that good a programmer.
      The moving map on the mission planner is exactly the same thing with one parameter changed to keep it in 2D mode instead of the default 3D mode.
      Watching the refresh rate of that, I think it's quite ok for fly by wire mode or simply monitoring the auto mode for altitude and terrain like cities.

As for the cellphone remaining in the plane, yes.
      The size planes I think of for outside line of sight would carry it easily. Mine is an x-8.
      The phone would operate in 3G mode until it list signal then switch to satellite as advertised.
      Tridge has used satellite Comms as part of outback joe I believe.
    • wow i didn't know you can stream coordinates through google earth like that, what is the real time refresh-rate for google earth? Can you post a video of your set up through google earth?  

I've seen the clip-on satellite cell phone cases, so you propose keeping a satellite connected smart phone onboard the UAV?

This reply was deleted.