If you are in auto mode, your drone will continue the mission until it hits the default 10% at which point it will auto-land wherever it is located (in my case, would be a tree canopy). A huge risk if you conduct missions outside of telemetry range, or just sometimes don't pay close attention to your battery level.

Although there is no work around, the only way to minimize risk is to conduct very conservative short missions, and if possible try to remain in UGCS telemetry range (which extends about 70% of the remote controller range).

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• UPdate - following updated versions of UGCS and DJI firmware Smart RTH on my M600 Pro seems to be working fine!
  • Another way I think is to preset the behaviour in the DJI GO app that it will factor in the distance to return home when emergency return to home. Then you let the default behaviour of the drone in case loss of RC link to be continue.

• I'm no DJI SDK expert, but seems it should be feasible to simply alter the behavior on low battery to immediate RTL, versus the 10 second wait for override (which is what is causing the issue, as the autopilot interprets UGCS mission waypoints as user input, thus aborting low battery RTL).

Sergey Kucenko said:

Hello,

Yes, you are right. Autopilot should handle failsafe actions. If we found a way how to control them at firmware level we will surely implement such feature at our software.

Kind regards,

Sergey Kucenko.

UgCS team

• Hello,

Yes, you are right. Autopilot should handle failsafe actions. If we found a way how to control them at firmware level we will surely implement such feature at our software.

Kind regards,

Sergey Kucenko.

UgCS team

• Hi Sergey

The software initiated RTL you describe, that would still fail in any situation without good telemetry to the ground station right? A solution that makes missions out of telemetry range possible would be most ideal. Thanks!

Eben
  • Hello,

Yes, currently requested feature (really communication with autopilot, as RTL is at it responsibility) is not implemented in our software. We will surely implement it in our future releases.

In case of a long mission, you able to visually control telemetry, interrupt mission, change the battery and continue it from needed segment.

Kind regards,

Sergey Kucenko.

UgCS team.

This reply was deleted.