More Ardustation MAVLink software


I've written my own Ardustation software for talking to the APM using MAVLink. The software is based on my previous version (for APM v1.x), which was in turn based on code written by Michael Smith.

It is capable of editing parameters on-board the aircraft, including dedicated pages for PID settings. It can send commands, such as restarting the mission. There are also two summary pages showing flight status and mission status. The design is fairly modular, so pages, commands and parameters can be removed or rearranged etc.
Whilst I was developing this software, I was unaware of the level of development on the Ardustation 2 code. I am still happy with my version, however, as it suits my current needs. If you'd like to check it out, follow the download link below.

The demonstration video above is shown on my ArdustationUno, but the software is 100% compatible with the standard DIYDrones Ardustation
Thanks to Build Your Own Drone for supplying the unit pictured above for testing the compatibility of the software.

So far I have tested it with ArduPlane 2.24. The download is linked below, I've included a previous version in case of difficulties. You will need to use the included libraries.


-- Update 01 Dec 2011 --

Depending on whether you use the airspeed sensor you should change line 50 of ArdustationM.pde such that the PID settings page alters the correct navigation pitch value. Set it to 1 if you are using the pitot tubes



I've found that downloading parameters is currently a bit hit and miss, it seems that only about 10 are downloaded at a time, so you may have to request the parameters more than once before they show up. Alternatively you can edit the local value before syncing with no problems.

Views: 3345

Comment by AVS on October 27, 2011 at 2:30pm

Excellent thank you, been waiting for someone to add the mavlink stuff. I like your ground station. This is what diy is all about, well done.

Comment by Paul Feely on October 27, 2011 at 3:03pm

Well done looks fantastic love the screen design and sending commands just what I'm looking for, thanks



Comment by Martint on October 28, 2011 at 8:23am

Hi Colin,


Looks great! Will you and the Ardustation be coming to the DZ2 on sunday, would be good to see it first hand!





Comment by Colin on October 28, 2011 at 12:47pm

Hey Martin, Yes, I'll be bringing the Ardustation with me. Just had a couple of flights with it on the latest software, mounted on a tripod. Works an absolute treat, loving the restart mission button :-)


Really looking forward to the meet, hope the weather holds out!


Comment by Martint on October 29, 2011 at 10:10am

Hi Colin,


You and I both hope the weather holds, its been teasing for weeks now! See you in the morning!





Comment by Colin on November 1, 2011 at 1:27pm

@all: I've now tested this software on a standard Ardustation (courtesy of and can report that it works well.


Also I've updated the firmware for better beeping behaviour.

Comment by Martint on November 2, 2011 at 10:04am

Hello Colin,


Thank you for the work you have put in on the Ardustation!  I will be testing it out on Thursday! :)





Comment by Paul Feely on November 2, 2011 at 3:25pm


I have it up and running (26th Oct ver) on my stock ArduStation.

All looks good except the update rate on the main summary screen (roll/pitch etc) seems to update quite slowly following a change in attitude (a good two or three seconds) - is that normal and if not any thoughts on troubleshooting?

Xbees look okay and updates from APM to Planner over Xbee looks fine. Red light flashes on AS - is that ok?

thanks Paul

Comment by Colin on November 2, 2011 at 4:56pm

Hi Paul,

Glad you got it running. That is weird, I have been reliably getting an update of very close to once a second on mine. I'm not entirely sure why yours would be different. What version are you running on the APM? I've only tried it with ArduPlane 2.24 so far.


If you had your PC groundstation talking over XBEE, do a reboot of the APM before connecting with the ardustation in case the PC GCS software has been requesting data we dont want.

Also, you can try speeding up the streaming by changing line 119ish in mavlink.pde

mavlink_msg_request_data_stream_pack(0xFF, 0xFA, &msg, 1, 1, MAV_DATA_STREAM_EXTRA1, 2, 1);


mavlink_msg_request_data_stream_pack(0xFF, 0xFA, &msg, 1, 1, MAV_DATA_STREAM_EXTRA1, 4, 1);

in order to get the attitude updated at four times a second. If that doesn't help try making it

mavlink_msg_request_data_stream_pack(0xFF, 0xFA, &msg, 1, 1, MAV_DATA_STREAM_EXTRA1, 1, 1);

which should make it slower, but still once per second.




Comment by Jack on November 9, 2011 at 7:39am



Will your new software work with the old Ardustation and ACM. Love your new design and plan to build one but would like to use your software in the mean time.




You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service