I was able to restore my bricked xBee by following these instructions. Hope this helps!!
Using the sparkfun USB explorer board.
1. Take the module out of the interface board.
2. Connect the interface board to the computer.
3. Open X-CTU make sure Baud Rate is set to 9600
4. Go to "Modem Configuration"
5. Put a check in the "Always update firmware" box
6. Select proper modem from drop down menu,
7. Select proper function set and firmware version
from drop down menus.
8. Click on the "Write" button. After a few seconds of
trying to read the modem, you will get an Info box
that says Action Needed. At this point, CAREFULLY
insert the module into the interface board.
9. You may get the info box again a short while after,
just use the reset button on the interface board.
This should get you back up and running.
It may take more than one try to get it to work, but mine worked the first time.
The original problem was that some how a glitch corrupped the xBee so it wouldn't respond to the "AT" commands.
Let me know if this works for anyone else.