Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

the thing I dislike most with the MinimOSD was the very chunky graphics of the artificial horizon.

So I took my software wand and coded a little ;-)

See the difference (at roll angles > 9°):

new version:

original version:

Ok, it's still not a straight line but the best you can get out of the restricted MAX7456 char buffer.

The only disadvantage is, that it needs the space of the MAX7456 capital ASCII letters and of some other unused chars.
    But as the capital ASCII are too large for nice OSD usage and the small ASCII works a lot better, it isn't really a disadvantage.

Bye
    JR

• Would be possible to hide Way Points panel if no way point is added?

• Hello, actualy i have a strange problem that my OSD don react on the APM 2.0 using Arducopter 2.9.1 with 3dr Telemetrie.

I thought maybe there is a Problem with the Cables but it reacts on Mode changes, but thats the only thing.

All other parts are displayed but nothing changes all 0.00 even the Horizont is stable.

• From the video it was tilt on the right side in CIRC mode but no heading change- something was wrong on the platform. Did you tried a RTL before going the distance?I think that the APM was frozen and not the OSD from 00:39.

• 100KM

Hi

I had in "interesting" incident yesterday - it looks as if the OSD froze up just before the crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh3z3_rEZzI

Reason for the crash I think is I lost radio control, failsafe RTL kicked in, and I had a 200m hill below the plane while RTL is set to 100m.

Just strainge the OS freeze and then OK again after crash..

• RSSI can work different ways. Up to the receiver you use.

Like there are receivers, showing signal strength, and others show pocket loss, and some bough.

Like if it uses "pocket loss" it can happen that you fly and RSSI shows 100%, than it can drop to 0% within a few sec.

Even using signal strength RSSI can make you confused. Don't think of it as a linear value.

Like before i have used my stock Futaba transmitter and receiver. My best was above 4km, but sometimes i had FS within 600m!

It is very important to position your antennas well! Antennas have death spots, etc.

It should not react dramatically to a turn, etc.

Also if you use your receiver antenna vertically, than hold your transmitter antenna vertically also.

If horizontal, than horizontal, etc.

Gábor

• I was quite busy with my job change and did not have time for anything regarding FPV. Did a little break and I am happy that I was able to FPV flight test Orange Open LRS 433 MHz for the first time in my FPV setup. Orange open lrs 433 mhz TX module and RX with flashed openlrsng 1.6 firmware with my MSComposit Maxi Swift flying wing. I used MinimOSD v0.1 with firmware version r458, did not have time to reflesh it yet with newer version. Turnigy 9x TX battery was empty so I was able to test to 774 meters range far only, than I had to return to exchange battery. Do you think that RSSI should behave this way? Will test recent version of MinimOSD extra firmware hopefully sometimes soon. Thanks for your work!

MinimOSD extra r458:

• Another "test" video for you G :D

• Hi,

I have an idea for an addon for osd/apm, not sure if it can be done but I thought I would bring it to the experts to see what you guys think.

I have been wanting a thermal camera for a while but the price is too high for me. I found this the other day, it is a sensor that is about $86 that I think may be able to give our fpv cameras a kind of thermal imaging ability.

here is the sensor and data sheet (I think this is the correct sensor or the one we would want to use) MLX90620 IR-array sensor

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/temper...

datasheet MLX90620

here is a project that gave me the idea, this one uses a different sensor but he is working on a version 2 that uses the sensor above. it also uses arduino and has sketch files on this page.

http://www.cheap-thermocam.tk/

here is another project someone else is doing that is an addon for android and iphone, it uses bluetooth.

http://rh-workshop-llc.myshopify.com/

it seems they are using the output from the sensor and overlaying the data from it on the video from the camera.  I thought this might be able to be done with the osd (like instead of having 2 screens,of osd data one could include the data from the sensor.  the sensor uses I2C so I dont know if it could attach directly to the osd, but maybe it could connect to the apm??

I dont have any idea if this is possible but thought it would be cool if it is, I think it would be the first osd to offer thermal imaging as an option. :)

Thanks,

John

• Question?
    I am having a weird character issue, that is, something unknown  showing up. It only shows when I switch to panel 2. It says "PM nnnF and keeps  counting up. (see pic) Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it? Thanks for any help -
    Mark

3692632913?profile=original

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692632930?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity