Developer

Arducopter 2.2 beta

I just pushed Arducopter 2.2 to the Mission planner. This version went through extensive testing by a brave group of flyers and with both HIL and SIL testing.

See this link for more:

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-2-1-1-alpha

If you run into any problems please let me know here. If you find a reproducible bug, please add it to the issues list.

tuning tips:

If you run into Loiter issues, try adjusting LOITER_P. It's 2.0 right now which may or may not be to aggressive for your copter. Nav is no longer used in Loiter control, which should make tuning easier.

If you run into a circling issue, try lowering LOITER_I to 0 and see if it goes away. If not, check your compass declination. A negative error will produce CCW rotations, a positive error CW.

If you have issues with alt hold, try lowering your THROTTLE_P, it may be too high for higher thrust copters.

If you have wobbles and can't seem to get rid of them, there is a new term called STAB_D, which is a derivative term used to tune out the wobbles. You can increase it until they stop, but just like driving a cadillac, you loose some performance and handling. In the CLI "tune 16" in setup will let you control this in flight, and "tune" in test menu will let you see the value printed out interactively before flight. See the wiki for more detail.

Many testers gave me a thumbs up on the code, so if you have an issues please post the flash log from the copter. The tLog isn't that much help to me for debugging as it doesn't capture the needed values at high enough rates.

(Remember, if you'd rather pull the code from the repository and load it with Arduino, you must use the "relaxpatch" version of Arduino in our downloads section.)

Update 2.2b2

I believe I found the simple mode error. It was a bug that was working OK until Tridge fixed it so it was declared properly. Then the bug became active. I made the Simple mode function internal variables static and this should fix it hopefully.

I updated alt hold to not use dampener for now until we get more testing. Some folks saw a latency induced oscillation which was pumped up by the D term.

I added the automatic throttle cruise or hold value as a compile time option for testers. This basically looks at your throttle and climb rate while in stabilize or acro and determines your optimal hover value. This means you can enter any autopilot mode and not have to worry about your throttle position. It should make alt hold more reliable if it works. This is off by default until we get good field tests back.

Update pushed to GIT.

Update 2.2b3

Just some refinements. I added JLN's throttle curve mod for landing. Hopefully that's correctly implemented. 

Made the landing delay from RTL user settable

removed the ADC gyro filter, I was doing a lot of testing and determined it wasn't worth it.

Enabled the auto-throttle control by default. Please test in the sim

Altitude no longer resets when flying in Loiter mode

Pitch and roll dampening is smoother now. try values up to .08 for very dampened flight.

Mavlink can now trigger auto-land

I'll push a hex when I hear some good news from HIL testers.

Update 2.2b4

Flew today and saw the WP speed governor wasn't quite working right. It was going down to 0 rather than the minimum.
Made internal switch to CM for distance calcs. This should not make any change to gains or MP.
Modified a few default gains for jDrones frame based on AP test flights of this code in some heavy wind on my roof.
Fixed an issue with the landing code not kicking in right away.
Decreased the slowdown near WPs
Added a limit to the amount the pitch compensation can effect the throttle if the throttle input is really high or maximum

Update 2.2b6

This is a rollup of all the code that's been flying around for the last week as well as a few bug fixes. I'll be posting it saturday night after reviewing all of my logs.
A dampening term called STAB_D has been refined. A D term for all of the Rate based control loops has been added based on Igor's work. Landing for Baro and Sonar has been refined based on JLN's work. A slightly new approach to Loiter and Navigation is being used to try and linearize the pitch and roll for rate control. It tends to use lower gains, yet has a more assertive response in the air.
I have one small loiter control issue to sort out tonight based on my logs, then I'll post to GIT.
Here is the auto-landing code in action. 

OK, 2.2b6 is on GIT. The Mission planner is going to be out of sync until the release code. until then you can use the APM_Config.h or the parameters list in the Mission planner. 

STAB_D : This is the gyro accretion dampener. This can remove small wobbles during sharp changes in angle commands. Making this too high can have a negative effect in performance and add a memory effect that can cause temporary loss in control. The in flight tuning is ranged so you are just below that effect.

If you haven't noticed before the control loops are in two stages. The first is a PI stage that converts some sort of position or angle error into a desired rate. These generally do not need to be tuned. They are more of a user preference on how fast you want the copter to perform a motion. 

The second stage is the actual PID loop that needs to be tuned for the copter. This converts the desired rate into a motor command of some sort. I added a D term based on Igor's recommendation to the PI's for each rate controller. These should show up soon in the mission planner for the release. I cannot give you a concrete answer for how to tune the D terms, because they each depend on their function such as alt hold or loiter, etc.

Still, the absolute most important term is always the Rate_P term for each loop. Start tuning here.

The default PIDs are in the what flies great for a stock jDrones/3DR Quad with the purple motors in X mode.

Thanks,

Jason

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Here a video of the ArduCopter v2.2 B5 tested in HIL mode with moderate wind (20 Km/h) and 30% of turbulences on the Quad IV quadcopter. Tested with AeroSIM-RC v3.81 and an ArduPilot Mega v1.0 board (APM2560) through the mission planner v1.1.27.

Regards, Jean-Louis

• Developer

Here a video of a preliminary test flight of the ArduCopter v2.2 B5 during a windy, gusty and rainy day...

In spite of the bad weather conditions the long duration LOITER test is still very good, a bit better than the B4...

Regards, Jean-Louis

• Today I flew my hexacopter with  2.2b4, no wind, the stabilized mode is very good, even I maneuver  fast climbing  and descending, there is no  wobbling . The loiter mode  is perfect , it drifts within 1-2 m . But  I have problems with big wobbling when descend at loiter mode(I put throtle sick to bottom and it descends too fast). Can I adjust anything to decrease the loiter mode  descending rate? My  parameters of throttle are as below:

THR_ALT_I,0.01
    THR_ALT_IMAX,300
    THR_ALT_P,0.4
    THR_FAILSAFE,0
    THR_FS_ACTION,2
    THR_FS_VALUE,975
    THR_MAX,1000
    THR_MIN,0
    THR_RATE_I,0.005
    THR_RATE_IMAX,300
    THR_RATE_P,0.5
    TRIM_THROTTLE,546

Tangtl

• Has anyone got this working in SIM. Im trying to get sim and Flight gear working, but all the settings Ive tried apart from Acro, the quad swings/yaws  from side to side constantly. 

Ive tried stabilize, stabilize simple, all the set modes with and without simple, autopilot and yet all swing side to side soon as I flick the switch out of acro mode. If i make any correction or pitch or roll it goes even worse.

In acro it works ok, it just seems to be in manual though with not return to level if you let the stick off to centre.

I installed the latest hil firmware , MP software and calibrated all the settings.

Ive tried altering the PIDs and have managed to reduce the yaw oscillation, but cant get rid of it all together. But what ever the case it is unflyable with this yaw oscillation.

Reading the forums it seems Im not the only one with this problem and most have the same issues, so any help would be very much appreciated by many. Thanks in advance. John

• Has anyone tried this version 2.2b4 with a tricopter? I uploaded 2.2b4 today on my APM v1 and CH7 seems to have no output at all. Thx, tobias 

• Developer

ArduCopter V2.2ß2XP4 "PIDT1" - Second flight test at the airfield

Hi all! Is just another video about my daily test (LOL) with the "PIDT1" mod by Igor.
    Today I flew with the version of JLN, is virtually identical to the one I posted yesterday but I was hoping for a better autolanding.
    The params are the same i've posted yestarday in this thread, i just increse "STAB P" to "4.5" and "ROLL P" to "0.11" for more aggressive control.
    The "PIDT1" params are untouched (i love it).
    Here you can see the difference with ß4 and PIDT1 when i stop the quad after and "hard drift", ß4 tends to wobbling, PIDT1 is almost perfect and is not plagued by the problem of the "nose up" after a turn if you release a little the ale/ele stick.
    I got a good demonstration of the "Simple Mode" with continuous rotation of the yaw.
    Tomorrow
    I will try the ß5, unrelease at the moment because need some test in real flight.
    I'm sorry but
    the shots are a little shaky but not had time to stabilize the video, need to found a "PIDT1" plugins for Final Cut! :-))

Happy movie...

Marco

• Tuning 2.2b4...

I have been off this forum for a few days so was pleasantly surprised to see that Mission Planner was now pushing out 2.2b4. Gave it a go today - quite windy but it certainly looked an improvement. Once again though I found that the defaults produced big circling loiters - moreover, I am now thoroughly confused as to how to tune this firmware. What is the relationship between P, I and D terms? What are they supposed to do now? What is the relationship between Rate, Stab and Loiter terms? Does anybody have some good working PIDs for a stock 3DR? Any swift help appreciated as it looks as if winds will be less than 10mph tomorrow morning. Thanks, Bill

• Developer

Hello to All,

I have tested successfully long duration LOITER (GPS position Hold) tests flights with my QRO quadcopter piloted by the ArduMega v2 board and the firmware ArduCopter v2.2 B4xp1 (with JLN mod).

3689442771?profile=original

Here a video of one of these flights.

Regards, Jean-Louis

• ArduCopter_2.2ß2XP2_PIDT1 flight test (real)

Stable mode It´s veeeery good. A solid and firm feeling in flight. Soft and steady stable maneoubres. I definitevely love this feeling.

PID tunning was pretty straight forward, at first shot. Values found looks not very different to others quad sizes (this is my small 650gr rtf quad). Tomorow I´ll test this code on a bigger one I have.

I´ve also tested rest of modes, all working well.

LOITER is much improved. I guess its the same code than 2.2b4, so then we could deduce that the problem was not in the Jason´s loiter code but in the stab control laws (we suspected that already)

There´s only one but... : the Alt_hold under SONAR: I don´t like at all (can say that it almost doesn´t work). I strongly sugest to change it, for example to that of the 2.0.49 (sorry to name it, but is what I do think). I have a good alt sensors  signal:

3692342325?profile=original

• anyone can help me update the firmware to 2.2 b4. I have it in the arduino and a tail tricopter not work for me I have two teams and is the same ... that is going on?

wilsonjms@gmail.com

This reply was deleted.

Activity