Developer

ArduCopter 2.6 released!

Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect.  If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.

The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.

Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
     - MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]

- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]

- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]

- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]

- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]

- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]

- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]

- flip & acro improvements [Jason]

- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]

- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]

Bug fixes include:

- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]

- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]

- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]

- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]

- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]

- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]

- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]

Tuning:
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props.  If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs.  Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

All feedback welcome below.  Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).

Happy flying!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Installed 2.6 tonight -- unfortunately, it was a bad day flying.  I don't think it had anything to do with 2.6 though.  I went up about four feet.  My hexcopter jerked to the right and then restablized.  It did this several times.  I've checked all my connections and solder joints.  Everything looks fine.  I'm in a hex+ configuration and it jerked (tilted quickly) to the right evenly (without an obvious lean to the front or back).  If I were in a hex X configuration, I might be able to pinpoint the problem to something going to the left motor.  But for it to this in a hex+ configuration leaves me puzzled.  I only have the default logs turned on.  Can anyone recommend a procedure / process to diagnose this?  I think I've attached the appropriate log files.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

LogFiles.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692448159?profile=original
  • It may have been covered in the video, but I have no audio -- Can you please provide some details about what autoapproach does for a quadcopter?  --- I found "autoapproach allows you to bring the quad in front of you and to land safely manually" in the comments, below, but would like some more details before trying it.

Thank you.

• APM2 + v2.6 + Camera Gimbal MC6500PRO V2 TESTING

camera gimbal and digital servo specs

http://www.myrcmodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produ...

Testing with Slow and fast movement. how to make APM2 roll and pitch react faster. edit PIDs ? here the video

• Great work guys!!

• Hello,

I updated my vTailY6-APM2 board to 2.6 and MavLink 1.0

I flew a first flight to tune Acro mode then proceeded to Level mode. What a difference from 2.5.5: As I was struggling with wobble before 2.6, I'm really happy with 2.6. 

I had a surprise when tuning Level mode. While testing some heading changes, I experienced a strange pilot reaction, like being in simple mode. Very uncomfortable when used to fly "normal" mode. At the bench I found a "simple" case checked near my level mode setting. I missed it before...

Altitude hold is perfectible, Loiter quite fine.

Thanks for your work,

MLB

• With arducopter 2.5.5 I managed to read Analog Pin A7, with Arducopter 2.6 impossible to read Analog Pin from A9 to A4.

I need at least one Analog Pin  to get RSSI informations, and with Arducopter 2.6, it's actually impossible

• After upgrading from 2.5.5 to 2.6 I can't see the remaining battery percent in Mission Planner correct anymore. This is with Attopilot 90A volt and current sensor and APM2. It starts at 23% and end at 10%. Never start at 100% as before. "Status"  display in Mission planer also tells "battery_remain 0,230". Volt is displayed correct. Anyone else have this same problem? Suggestions? I tried to load back firmware 2.5.5 and it was ok again. And same problem when going back to 2.6.

Today I got loiter mode to work well! This has never worked on my standard 3DR frame before! This was with stock 2.6 parameters. Problem was disturbance of compass and gps.

Yesterday I aligned the model straight north by comparing with a compass. In Missionplanner I could see the compass was not heading north. After several compass-learn flights I saw the offset-parameters were different each time.

I decided to move APM2 from bottom plate on frame and up to next floor in the stack to get distance from power wires. After a compass-learn flight 3DR Quadrocopter now loiter nice. I also get much faster 3D fix at the GPS. I know placing APM2 sensor out of center can have negative effects also but getting loiter to work is great!

Thank you for your work all developers and contributers!

• Power comsumption is always a problem. When you add LED stripes you'll have to analyze correctlly if you have the necessary amps to power it up without disrupting the APM. Most LED stripes are 12v and there are also some 5v, however I came across an alternative wich seems to me very very good. It consumes a lot less power, and gives a "neon like" effect. During the day it will be hard to see but at night I think it will be wonderfull. I've been opening one of them and the electronics is very simple. I will try to put it in my hexa and let you know how it went. 2 small very bright LED per circuit, powered by a cr2032 3V battery and a piece of transparent silicone flexible tube :D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260759349970?var=560026434652&ssPageN... 

check in here if you'd like to try some

• What does exactly "Copter LEDs" means? I mean, I know what LEDs are :). Just wondering if it had some standard hookup diagram and/or sequence.

Or has this code been included into the "core" (http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/u4eake-s-showleds-arming-and-lo...)

• Developer

Hello All! Just had my first long flight with 2.6. It is FANTASTIC! Here is a little tip that gets repeated often in these forums and is equally as often ignored: Do NOT use bullet connectors! I was never a believer in the down side of bullet connectors, but I learned my lesson this weekend. The increased resistance of my crappy bullets caused excessive heat to build under my dome cover. Also, the connection was just intermittent enough to cause the timing to go out of sync between a few of my motors and their ESCs.

This reply was deleted.

Activity