Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here are my log file, do you need the log.gpx and kmz file as well? The quad took off with quite much aggression, and went forward quite fast, i then when it was high enough, i enabled the loiter alt hold, and stayed there for some time, until i activated and held the RTL switch until crash disaster... .-( Couple of questions:

Why is my quad so aggressive?

Why does it move forward when lifting?

And my loiter is not very stable either, any clues on why?

I really just want to fly slow, for filming and aerial shoots:-)

2013-07-22 20-52 7.log

• Hello...no one answer my question so here we go again: is it possible to make x8 with 2 flight controllers(lets say 2 APM2) one controlling top motors and another bottom ones..calibrate them together..also.is there a way to connect 2 apm to work together...that is the only way for redundancy i think,and it seems pretty simple once you sinchronise them together..its like two quad connected together on same frame i hope u get the picture..thanks for answer(randy,oliver,r.lefabre or others....)cmon,someone must had that idea before me and resource too...

• I had volunteered to tune 3.0.1 for an organization.  Originally had a loiter toilet bowling effect, but that has been tuned down with in-flight tuning, compassmot upon each upgrade and finally lots of tuning by on-board video view.  Sharing the final PID, and also as a means to improve on it if you see anything odd.  This all-in-one test includes loiter, power forward, yaw, RTL, fast descend and position hold descend in FPV view.  Nothing fanciful, unbranded 450 specs with 3DR APM 2.5

• CLI : reboot is bugged

It looks like the APM reboot, when finish, it start produces garbled messages like https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/434

• Can someone please take a look at my logs? I tried the RTL today and my quad suddenly took another direction and flew super fast into a bunch of trees.. And i really wonder what happened.. But how can i upload the logs?
  • Hello!

Does anybody knows where can I buy avr32u2 pwm encoder chip as well the one left from it? Probably also will be needed to replace Diode D1, so any usefull link/hint...

TX!

apm2.5 zamena čipa.jpg

• I have been flying the latest firmware (3.0.1-rc2) and noticed the alitude gradually drops during turns when in ALT HOLD mode. This is flying with a fully charged battery...

• Any news on V3.0.2 that will hold altitude during loiter turns. That’s something I need for AP work.

• Developer

Here the "almost complete" flight test of VR Brain (ArduCopter V3.0.3 VRB version) on "Marcopter HV1 Heavy Hexa", happy watching:

• Hi everybody ..

Yesterday I upgrade to 3.1 from 2.9b. in hope the I could get the "DO_SERVO" to work . I can manually control  the  servo with R/C channel 7,But still no luck in auto mission

Any chance Randy could do  a video or screen shots of MP and is missions WP he used in the ball dropping

Sparkfun competition video ?

I am working on a project that will land place an object  then take off again , so any help I would  be grateful

cheers everyone

This reply was deleted.

Activity