Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This may not be the right place to ask but it deals with 3.0.1. I've gotten good results with loiter and alt hold but in normal stabilize mode my quad will not follow a straight path. Starting in a stable hover if I pitch forward it goes forward and off to the right or left. Is there a PID tuning that would keep the heading better or am I expecting too much? I did compassmot and only had 6% interference.

• Today I tested AUTO mode, very simple mission - three way points, all of them near to each other cca 30m but the hight is 40m, 300m and back to 40m. When switched to AUTO quad reached soon point 1, then climbed very nice to point 2 and then started descent to point 3 but it never reached it and stayed at around 190m at the position. I had to switch to stabilize and bring it down manually.

When browsed the log i was really confused. Graphed only two values - baro alt and WP alt. Honestly i dont understand what WP alt means, but it seems like the copter is controlled by it concerning the hight of WP.And where comes from the value of this WP alt?

So can please somebody explain me how should I create such simple mission and copter just climbs very high and then descends safely to next WP, because i need to measure temperature and humidity profile.

See the graph :

3692795478?profile=originalIf somebody interested I attached full log file from this mission.

2013-08-07 15-04 3.zip

• Question about H Frame, I see in the new mission planner there is a selection for H frame. I searched for motor layout (which one is 1,2,3, or 4) for the H configuration but could not find any answers. I did notice the prop rotation directions are different from say an X quad, Are the motor numbers the same as an X quad but with different prop rotation? 

• Randy, given the importance of failsafe

There is an error in Mission Planner 1.2.66 on the  Failsafe page on the top right under Connect/Disconnect there is a link to wiki - which links to the OLD wiki at;

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Failsafe

It should link to the new wiki at;

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/failsafe/

• Hi all. I'm back (or so I think). At the planner, the params for RTL altitudes are in meters or cms ? Thank you.

• Hi Randy,

I was looking at my logs for MOT messages, and I saw that the maximum PWM is cropped at 1865. My ESC are configured to run from 1100 to 1900, but I can change them to have a max PWM at 1865 instead of 1900, but I was wondering why is there a such limit and where is it set. 

Is it configurable ?

Thanks,

David

2013-08-03 11-32 1.log

• Biggest issue for me is why i get a huge change in performance of my flight stability ..in windy conditions copter is unstable and in less or no wind it is dam near perfect .. and makes me feel like we finally  have a wookong slayer ..until i fly on windy day ..

• Hello guys!

Today I have a crash with my quad. It's the second time that the quad turns very agresive and crash when I activate the Loiter.

Usually the loiters works great, but this time the Quad turned aside and it crashed.

Because that happens? I think that the GPS have about 7 satellites. Can I deactivate automatically the GPS when not have enough satellites to avoid this reactions?

I upload the log of the flight.

Best Regards.

2013-08-07 00-07-22.rlog

2013-08-07 00-07-22.tlog

• Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this query but I was wondering if some kind person with more knowledge and experience than I could take a look at the enclosed dataflash log and advise me if my vibration and compass offsets/error is within acceptable levels for update to  ver 3.0x?

This is my first flight on a F450 with 2.91b. Using the quattro 4-in-1 ESC (hopefully lower mag interference) and moon gel mounted apm. Props (the virtually indestructible 1038 DJI ) were not balanced.

The take off in stabilise was fine although it was drifting back,  alt-hold was good too although again a little bit of drifting but not too bad - obviously a totally new pilot so a little bit of over correcting. Also need to do auto-trim at some point. Switched to loiter and it was very good! With no wind it hardly moved at all. When a little breeze  came it would move it no more than 25 cm. Really impressed with the loiter - it stayed put for a good 5 minutes before I got bored and switched to stabilise. I don't yet have a good feel for the throttle range/control and bounced a few hard landings coming out of alt-hold. I am sure they show up on the log. Kept dropping the throttle too low and hitting the ground hard :-(  It even cartwheeled on a couple but no no damage!

Overall, given my loiter was so consistently solid is it safe to assume this quad would be a good candidate for 3.0x?

Thank you in advance

Enc 

2013-08-06 21-35 11.log

• Randy,

Looking to the old Parameter list I found:

SER_AUX_BAUD, SER_AUX_PORT, SER_CLI_BAUD, SER_CLI_PORT, SER_GPS_BAUD, SER_GPS_PORT

Now only SERIAL3_BAUD

How can I change the other baud rate (AUX, GPS)???

I don't know if it comes from Mission Planner version 1.2.66 or from the FW....

Any help??...

Rino

This reply was deleted.

Activity