Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,
    Today I made ​​the test with AutoTune fw 3.1.RC5, everything was perfect the test lasted about 4 minutes with excellent final results. I saved the new parameters, and then I flew both Stabilize and then AltHold Loiter, everything was perfect very stable and maintains the height in AltHold in a wonderful way. Good work boys.
    I had a hint of wobble as you can see in the video and in shape and at the end of the second log.
    the first log is more Autotune test flight.
    In the second log is the wobble.
    Thank you for your work.

Greetings

Video

3692865760?profile=original

2013-10-25 17-05 2.log

2013-10-25 17-07 3.log

I'm having compass issues again with v3.1rc5.

The resolution is described here in this issue.

Randy, would it be possible to please get it included in rc5 beta and/or the final release?

• Hi all,

Can on off de devs (or randy) please have a quick look into the attached hex log. (RC5)

We only have this log no gcs station en problem was in stabilize suddenly drops out of the sky

Can only find in the log that throttle in and out to zero but not on the sender.....

Hex with only apm and gps, no powerbrick and telemetrie.

2013-10-25 14-03 11.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692865441?profile=original
  • I've made another test with autotune, but the new result wasn't as good as the previous one, horizon was wobbling when flying straight. Maybe because when I was autotuning, I needed to reposition my copter some more times.
    One strange thing (or maybe not), ROLL/PITCH rate PID are differents, but STAB P is the same for ROLL/PITCH, so I was wondering why this one is not also different ?
    I tried also to disable CLI (#define CLI_ENABLED DISABLED), but after you can't download any logs. Is it possible, when CLI is disabled and LOGGING enabled, to have a minimum of CLI to allow log's downloading ?

2013-10-24 19-49 1.log

• Has any changes been made to the code since 3.1-rc2 that would affect the COMPASSMOT value?  In 3.1-rc2 I always got 11% when running the COMPASSMOT but last night I loaded 3.1-rc5 and it went up to 19%.  I did it twice and got the same result.  Nothing on my quad has changed, only the code...

• File 3

2013-10-24 16-56-41.tlog

• The files...

2013-10-24 18-38 7.log

2013-10-24 18-26-19.tlog

• Leonardo or Randy, I almost updated to the new beta today after having 6 successful flights without the surging problem. Then on my 7th flight it showed up again. I'm including the logs here. In the last part of the flight I was trying to provoke it and shooting around and on one of those hard pitch movements it did the surge also. Otherwise it would just randomly do it while trying to maintain a hover.
    I think I've attached the right logs but if you don't find the problem let me know and I will upload another one. If this is the right log then it happens right in the first 30 seconds and all through the test.
    The third attachment is an extra tlog just incase the other one isn't the right one. I'm pretty sure the flight is in the first two attachments but let me know if it's not and I will upload the other files.
    BTW, what data field are you viewing in the log browser to see the problem?
  • T3

Dear Devs,

I am not sure if this is related to rc5 or Mission Planner. Have a look at the values for D and IMAX.

3692864511?profile=originalThey do not match. I did several write and refresh actions. First, in the Copter PIDs, IMAX was on 185. In the Standard Params the value was 500. I changed it in the Full Parameter List to 180 and back to 185. Now I cannot change it in the Copter PIDs section back to 185 - it shows 180? Is this just a rounding effect (I assume this for RATE_PIT/RLL_D) and thus ok? Or might this cause any trouble?

TIA,

Thorsten

PS: I had some problems like this before - using a "," as decimal separator (some values which should have been in range were marked in orange and showed very high or low values).  I changed this but this is the result.

Regarding the LED mode of v3.1, I recall it was said that the low battery warning buzzer (if retro-fitted) would now oscillate rather than sound continuously, I'm using the number 11 (8+2+1) which gives - low battery flash fast, beeper on, GPS on, Motor LEDs on.

V3.1's LED bitmask however, seems different to the original thread (http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844), how does one make the buzzer oscillate rather than sound continuously? '29' or '30' (17+9+3) doesn't do it.

This reply was deleted.

Activity