Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Distributor

Has Warning #4 been fixed?

Will there be a new version coming soon?

Felix

• Hello all,

Not sure where to post this to get help..

with the latest code my copter get a condition where it does not use up all the battery ..  or has reduced power..

I've rolled back to  2.7.3  and the problem is gone.. I can fly the copter till the battery is dead.. vs  with latest code.. it will stop at 3.85 volt  per cell

( ESC are not and Issue as they are programmed for NiC and low cut off)

flashing it with 2.73. did the trick ..but  MP is not happy .. 

Does anyone have any link to download compatible MP version with old code.

• Hello...i need help...again,bcs. my y6 drop from sky again,,,everything was fine with alt hold so i deceide to give autotune a try...i flip the switch and autotune started..10mins later at the near end of autotuning(after few repositioning)i complete lost control and Y6 drop down..it is easy to say flip switch to stabilize but i didnt manage to do it...again..it would be nice if someone can tell me what hapend..logs are here but i think i lost telemetry at end as well...

my Y6:

hengli w48 30 420KV mtors,15,5x5 wood props,telemetry 433Mhz,sonar mb1200,videolink 5,8 imersion...2x 8000mAh 6S nanotech....everything was on,3.1rc5,MP 1.2.86

2013-11-14 15-25 8.log

2013-11-14 15-10 8.log

• Question about temperature sensitivity of the APM.

Do we need a warm up time for the APM and electronics before we fly in cold (0C) weather? I ask because I had a few minutes and wanted to have a quick flight. I set my quad in the snow - armed it - and began a slow lift to hover but, the copter kept listing and when I put in stick to roll the other way the results were too exaggerated. It flailed around in the snow. HUD shows machine is level, props balanced and the copter has been flying.

• Is there a release date for Arducopter 3.02?

• At first, to give you a response, i have tested the AutoTune (3.1rc5) on my X525 and everything worked fine :-)

I have a question about the "Fence" funktion:

When the Copter reach the Fence, he switched to RTL.

For me it makes more sense when the copter stops at the fence, like he reaches a wall, and not "come back to me" (RTL).

Marcus

• Just like to take a minute and say thanks again to Rob, Randy and the Dev team. And all the beta testers, especially those that suffered for the rest of us! hats off to you all!!

I have built a rather large coaxial quad for a commercial purpose, and a little while ago I grounded it until now due to the processing issues, a month goes by and thanks to Rob who did some well structured testing and identified the issues, And now we have the autotune as well.... I thought it was work a crack again...

around 6 minutes, had to reposition 3 times( was flying on a big oval) Values came out NEARLY double what I had previously set manually, and STAB P went from 3.5 to 10.5.... It was just like flying a 3d flybarless machine, very snappy. and quite accurate!... Well it was too snappy for a camera survey ship so I turned STAB P back down and settled around 5.5 rate settings seem pretty good.

RATE P was .25 (I same) can't remember what D term went to, If anyone is interested let me know and I'll go look...

6.9kg takeoff weight (can go to 9kg) 3P 5s6200 

15 x 5.5 carbon props 

Samsung camera and gimbal,... 

15 minutes and a "little" bit left in the battery.... just in case!

now I need to go back and retune a few other things, but stock values for alt hold stuff worked quite well, very smooth. a little slow on loiter position recovery, but I will work on that tomorrow!

Thanks again guys,.... Very happy!!! Brilliant Job!!!.

Now I just need to get over the 150waypoint issue!

(could use around 450 per flight, or camera distance like fixed wing settings..)

Also PX 4 should be here for the next jump in a few days,.. then I can get the second one up and running!.

3 flights now no issues, another 2 or 3 flights tomorrow......(hopefully!)

Cheers

Steve

• I need a way to call my customers to maintenance/upgrade from time to time, according to drone total flight time. It would be useful for a professional use and add more reliability to the system.

Can we add a visual warning about exceeding a configurable Time_to_Maintenance parameter?
    Also a Sistem_Id parameter would be helpful to keep track of maintenance.

• Where in Mission Planner does it tell you what your current version of Arducopter you currently have loaded into your Quad/Vehcile? 

thanks in advance

• Please add RCMAP_MODE parameter along with rcmap_roll rcmap_pitch etc. It is very handy when you use a turnigy 9x with serialsum ppm. It outputs the mix only on channel 6.

This reply was deleted.

Activity