Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Running ArduCopter 3.1-rc7 on small H-quad. These ESCs on this quad are Plush 18a took from my old stock. The motors are very sluggish. And found ESC Update Speed (ArduCopter:RC_SPEED) has been set to 490Hz, I just do not know when. After lowering this value set to 400Hz and looks fine at this moment. Any sense?

Had an almost 'flyaway' in Loiter today with v3.1-rc7, was loitering after testing a few things and suddenly the quad shot off NW for no reason, I let it go for a second and then switched out of Loiter to save it from hitting a tree.

Any ideas why the sudden departure from normal Loiter

Attached is the tlog, (some params were changed a little during the flight.)

3692886424?profile=original

2013-11-24 12-07-03.tlog

• Randy,

I'd like to thank everybody for implementing the GPS glitch protection as i suggested in the past. It works fine for me now with Ublox NEO 6M. I've set the radius to 5m.

Now I've seen in U-Center, that GPS can show it's own Declination. Is there a possibility to use that information for APM vector calculation instead of "user values"? Isn't it better to believe in the GPS value? So you could do an exact calculation for the negativ vector.

The reason I ask is that on some special days I still have TBL effects. But not every day. Maybe there is a small drift after decimal point.

Regards Christian

• Auto Tune Clarification:

"3. ensure the ch7 or ch8 switch is in the LOW position"

Can't wait to do a test fight tomorrow, but can't seem to find anywhere, where "Low Position" comes up. Would someone be able to give me an idea what I need to do to switch from Low and High on Ch7.

Thanks,

G

• hello All 

I was having some trouble with my "beater" quad (its a small X350 with APM 2.6 in it). it seem to be TWERKING worse than miley cyrus. Not Big movements but kinda like it was flying/hovering on a water bed or bowl of jello. Prior to a Rollover that broke my GPS Mount Stick, it had flown perfectly with 3.0.1. so i figured maybe its time to give RC7 a run and see what happens. i would like to be able to try autotune, i thought it might solve the Twerking my Beater quad is doing.

I  loaded RC7 into my "Beater" quad. When i try to arm one of the preArm Checks pops up and says PREARM: BAD GPS POS. researching it appears that in the Status window, my GPS_HDOP says 1.93, does that mean my params have to be changed to 1900 instead of 200 for arming to continue with geo Fence on? or is there another solution to this problem i am over looking?

Also Quick Question about the Beta Firmware downloads, since i am new. What is the difference between APM2 Quad HIL and APM2 Quad directories? the Hex Files appear to be pretty close in create times.

thanks in advance

thanks in advance

• I just had a fly away with my Y6. I just install 3.1 RC7 and i took it out back and made sure i was in stable. I armed it and raised the throttle and then it rocketed off straight up. I tried switching between modes and all of a sudden i got control went to idle and it dropped like a rock. I feed throttle and it stabilized. I landed and then i had issues dis-arming. Finally I got it dis-armed and the battery disconnected.

When I reviewed the log as soon as a gave it throttle it switched to RTL and I was not able to switch back for a dew sec. then it switched back to Stab.

2013-11-23 14-47-40.rlog

2013-11-23 14-47-40.tlog

2013-11-23 14-52 3.log.gpx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692886033?profile=original
  • Hi,

1stQ:

In 3.1-rc5 it was possible to set the Ch8 Option to LAND. In rc7 it is not possible anymore?

I miss this option. I had an extra switch only for LAND outside of the flight modes.

2ndQ:

I am flying a tricopter. For arming and disarming i have to move the rudder stick to the right and left. But on a tri the rudder is a servo for the tail. This means by using of big props this prop scratch on the ground. Is it possible only for arming and disarming to turn this channel off? Or perhaps anybody has another better idea?

3rd:

Thanks to all the developers for their great work and support

• R7! The best release candidate so far!

• Hi Devs

I newly loaded rc7 via MP I am unable to download logs with rc7 in MP1.2.87 nor MP1.2.86.. The reading freezes at 100109 0..

Thanks in advance

Sandy

• A FOOL!

Thank YOU to those that entertained me - I am Sorry for being a DUNCE!   I have changed my icon accordingly.

Thanks to Jason4Short's e-mail regarding setting up the Rx&Tx. Another link in the chain where a beginner with a mouth got caught. Thanks too to Darrell Burke I just read his trials to duplicate my BAD setup. Sorry!!!!!!

My Rx & Tx are FrSky with Fail Safe capability. The Rx was set to send 50% throttle upon Tx cutout - I guess by default. It is now set properly. Another insight to our transitioning hobby/industry with various methods of safety overlapping.

!!! I am so Sorry !!!----->

3692885573?profile=original

eat-crow.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692885573?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity