Developer

ArduCopter-3.1 released!

After months of testing AC3.1 is finally available in the Mission Planner and GitHub.

Warning #1: If the vehicle is left landed (but armed) while in AltHold or Loiter mode for more than a few seconds, the vehicle may suddenly jump into the air the moment the pilot raises the throttle above zero.  The reason is the baro altitude may fall while the vehicle is sitting on the ground.  In AC3.2 this bug is fixed because we reset the target before take-off.

Warning #2: Motors will spin (slowly) by default as soon as the copter is armed!  You can switch this feature off by setting the MOT_SPIN_ARMED parameter to zero.

Warning #3: if you see "Bad Gyro" on the HUD then you may have a blown 3.3V regulator.  See this thread for details.

Warning #4: if you use a sonar set the SONAR_GAIN parameter to 0.8 or lower

Warning #5: Trad Heli users should now connect their main rotor ESC to APM's RC8 output

Warning #6: Trad Heli BUG causes loss of collective control in ACRO mode if swash type set to flybarred (i.e. not flybarless).  Will be fixed in AC3.2.

The major improvements over AC3.0.1 are (full list here):

1. Pixhawk support (Tridge & PX4 development team)

2. Autotune of Roll and Pitch gains (Leonard/Randy)

3. Drift mode (Jason)

4. Improved Acro (Rob/Leonard) and new Sport mode (Leonard)

5. Arming, Take-off, Land in Loiter or AltHold

6. TradHeli improvements (Rob) including:

a) support for direct drive tail rotors

b) smoother ramp-up of main rotor

c) reduced collective for better control in stabilize mode (STAB_COL_MIN, STAB_COL_MAX params)

7. Support for SingleCopter (Bill King)

8. Performance improvements resolve AltHold troubles for Hexa & Octacopters

9. Safety Improvements:

a) GPS Glitch detection (Randy)

b) Motors spin when armed (Jonathan Challinger)

c) crash detector shuts off motors if copter flipped for 2secs

d) batt failsafe option to RTL instead of LAND, gps failsafe option to trigger AltHold instead of Land

e) more pre-arm checks of inertial nav speed,

10. Bug fixes:

a) optical flow working again (although performance is still not great because not integrated with inertial navigation)

b) ROI working (use DO_SET_ROI command)

How to upgrade:
Click on the MissionPlanner's Initial Setup >> Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

Special thanks to Marco and the many beta testers on the AC3.0.1 thread who put their copters at risk during the testing of this new version and uncovered many problems so that you don't have to!  Here are some of their videos: loiter in wind, patio sonar, autotune, autotune2, roi, beach, acro, vrbrain, tricopter, train spotting, radio failsafe, the tree, double loiter

If you haven't seen it recently, please check out the ArduCopter wiki.

Feel free to post comments below and we're going to use the new APM Forum for support issues so please post your support requests there.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd like to Thanks TEAM Arducopter, my XAircraft X650 flew Wonderfully today With 3.1 firmware and i didnt change a thing from original settings. Thanks for all the work you guys do, it sure shows!! My F450 Flew pretty good despite a Loose Motor which i didnt notice until after an auto trim. But at least i have that answer now! time to 1UP the F450 Motors & ESCS

• hi guys,

got a crash today after tuning the copter with autotune. the autotune procedure went well. the copter was quite aggressive at takeoff (fast motor correction) but flying very sharp as I would expect it.

have been flying around few min until I went for a full speed pass. when I pull back the pitch stick the copter went into a backflip and crashed. props off. not sure when the copter disarmed them (in the air or on the ground). what is for sure is that on pitch in and pitch in APM datalog, we can not see clearly at the end of the file the curves going in different directions!

at the same time I have a second question, why I am not getting GPS data on the same scale as the pitch ones and can not compare them over the time.

I attach here my log

2013-12-19 11-56.log

• SWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!! I cant wait to try drift mode with FPV gear!!! I flew it around a bit in the alley today and its like driving an RC car with Air Brakes!! its going to come in handy i plan on filming alot of off road motorsports once i get good at fpv and it feels like im just driving in the air!!!

• Developer

Please stop posting support requests to this blog.

Every release we have dozens of complaints about how difficult is is to follow support issues through the blog.

We have created a support forum where issues can be searched, tracked, and managed.

If we are every going to make the support work more efficiently we have to move away from here. 

Please post your support requests to

http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

Thank you all for your help in making this happen.

• How about forcing the move over to where support type questions and answers belong by just not answering any tech questions at all here? Anyone who has been around here for a while knows how difficult it is to keep up with things or to find something specific. The situation at the moment is worse, not better. Eleven pages here to wade through, with support stuff sprinkled throughout, and then the proper forum to go through.

• Just tested 3.1 final on my big octo x. autotune, drift, sport, rlt, start/land in althold/loiter - works great. Maximum Load was 96,8 in Supersimple Loiter.

I only had to turn off prearmcheck, because i always get "check fs throttle value" - i don´t know why.

Throttle Failsafe is enabled, frsky receiver sends a ppm value of 991 if tx is off. FS Throttle Value is set to 993. If Tx is turned on it sends a ppm value of 1001 with throttle stick low.

Last thing i´d like to see is a perfect Althold. I still got some drifting about a few meters when flying around,

I didn´t download the logs so far, but i can post them later if necessary.

Thank you for this great release and your hard work!

• Has anyone experience this problem on their mission planner upon updating to version-1.2.89? Flight Modes are blank! What Happen?

DSC00001.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692902088?profile=original
  • It still perfect. I have new battery it can hover about 30 mins with 4s 8000 mAh 30C.1003569_790087904351719_778948228_n.jpg

2013-12-18 10-48.log

2013-12-18 10-48.kmz

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692902082?profile=original
  • Awesome update! Thank you.

• Hi Randy,

great work very much appreciated.

I just bought a new APM2.6 from 3DR and after a few days this problem happened for me as well.

I get the "Bad Gyro" message as soon as i connect and my HUD just rolls all over the place. I measured the voltage as per the video you put out and i see 4.8vdc.

This is a very worrying thing. On my last Quad with APM i had a few months of flying and it was brilliant but then i had a fly away. Using an FPV monitor it flipped upside down but was unfortunately completely lost so no logs to check. Maybe it was this regulator problem.

Now ive built a Hex in the hope if i lose an ESC or motor it might still fly.

On the new hex i installed the APM from 3DR just like i did on the Quad.

I followed all the procedures in the manual wioth calibration etc and all was fine.

Then i continued on with mounting ESC's and other things and then noticed out of the blue this Gyro problem. I am especially glad i am taking my time with the build otherwise if i had flown it, it would have been a disaster at some point.

Ive informed 3DR and they are looking into it.

Quite frankly i'm really concerned that this problem might re-appear and i'm not sure how just replacing the 3.3v reg fixes what seems to be a hardware design flaw ?

The APM is addictive but my pockets can only run so deep. I don't want to buy the clone as i'm sure the 3DR build is better but.....

This reply was deleted.

Activity