Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Johnex,

I believe I've found the issue and it looks like a subtle bug actually.  I believe it only occurs when the throttle range is quite wide.  I.e. RC3_MAX - RC3_MIN > 1000.  Is it possible that you've increased your throttle range recently because at first glance it looks like the issue is there in AC3.1.5 as well.

• When I have either RTL or LAND on channel 7 or 8, neither my quad or tricopter will disarm upon landing. Just like the video- the motors stay in high idle and it appears to be trying to stabize itself but not with enough power to lift off. I'm not getting the wobble though. I think your wobble is coming from the the effects of the ultra-soft/wobbly landing gear.

If I set RTL or LAND to one of the flight modes on channel 5 it will disarm upon landing.

• Hi Again!

Here is the latest log from when the tricopter tipped to the side due to the wobble and motor slowly revving up with time after RTL not disarming.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6749621/2014-10-01%2017-46-48.log

Im sure you will be able to see in the log the wobble and the motors revving slowly.

• This sounds similar to an issue I had with my Y6. RTL completed fine in the air, once on the ground the motors initially slowed but then gradually starting increasing; it appeared about to flip so I switched to Stabilize to disarm. The throttle was set to minimum before touching the ground. Initially I thought the copter might have been trying to level itself, as the ground was sloping, but the gradient was only  ~20 degrees so I think this should have passed the 45 degree landing check?? 

I'm sorry I don't have the log.

• Yeah exactly!

I know my issue is probably due to my soft PVC pipe landing gear making the tail wobble, but it was exactly how it was with me. The throttle was all the way down ofc but the motors started to spin slowly and eventually i saw it tipping over so stabilize and disarm.

Mine was on totally level ground also.

• Randy,

WRT the landing detector weirdness, I had a thought at the field the other day I meant to mention to you.  I wonder if the throttle-feedback facility you put in is getting involved at all here.  The other day when I took off in AltHold and flew around and came back to land, the props never fully went to the mot_arm_speed or whatever that param is, but not high enough to lift up either.  As soon as I brought the throttle up, the motor-spinup-feedback actually "aggressively" spun up higher than I was expecting - but still not enough to take off.  Once I got to THR_MID and over, the copter then spun up more and ultimately took off - gracefully - and I flew the rest of the battery.

It's probably unrelated, you would know better than I would, but I thought I'd mention just in case it rang any bells.

Josh

• Developer

Josh,

I'm not sure but I've seen some times where I've landed but not put the throttle completely to zero.  The vehicle will recognise it's landed but it'll only reduce the overall throttle to the feedback level (which is somewhere between thr-min and 1/2 of thr-mid).

The amount of throttle it gives for feedback (while landed) should never change depending upon the situation, it should always be between thr-min and 1/2 of thr-mid.  If you're seeing something else then I'll need a log I think.

• I'll keep an eye out and if I see it shoot the corresponding log over.  Thanks Randy.

• I remembered something from the flight. I did have issues using channel 7 to put the copter into RTL. If i had it in althold or stabilize for example, and hit the RTL switch, it would go to PosHold and i had to redo the switch one more time for it to activate RTL. No configuration change on my radio since 3.1.5, and there it was not an issue...

• Hello guys,

i have updated 2 quads (Cheerson CX-20) with 3.2rc9 and 3.2rc10, and both of them  fly great in POS HOLD but there is something a bit strange which i noticed and that is the overall power in stabilize mode.

with 3.1.5 the CX-20 climbed like a rocket in stabilize (full throttle) and with 3.2 it feels much less powerful - in both quads.

any idea why that might be? do i have to define this somewhere or recalibrate ESCs (seems unlikely)?

BTW - it is NOT a battery issue - its on 2 quads with a few different batteries.

thanks.

This reply was deleted.

Activity