Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanx fellow drone flyers for so much of support. i really admire this community. i ran the compassmot. the value was less than 30%. I will now move the GPS 5cm up from the current location and further away form the pixhawk and PDB. i have a 500mW video Tx at 5.8 Ghz. will try to switch off the Tx. but the most probable cause is solar activity because i never had a GPS loss during the past one year i had been flying the same pixhawk and same video Tx. could it have something to do with the backup battery of GPS?

• I've been doing some bench testing of the GPS batteries on two 3DR GPS/Mag units. They are not new units so maybe not a fair test, but it looks like after a six hour power up (cell charge) I get four or five days before voltage is below 1.4V cutoff. I think the value of series limiting resistor on the cell's charge input might be set for a situation where the GPS is powered on 24/7, not in short bursts like we do. I'm experimenting with a smaller value...

• Regarding GPS and compass, we tried something that was not supposed to be changed later, but well... this is working fine. Not recommended at all, however we have no issue at all when flying. Yes, we have the ublox gps/compass sitting close to APM.... 

3702528673?profile=originalTypical values when flying are correct: 11-13 satellites, hdop at 1.3 -1.5.

3702528535?profile=original

• Great readings!  However, What I don't see is where the battery is located, nor the PDB or ESC for that matter.  Like folks mentioned before, the issue with GPS signal loss may have nothing to do with your electronic interference but rather atmospheric in nature. 

As for the compass next to APM, there use to be one on the board for the APM 2.5 but was disconnected on AMP2.6 because engineers felt the APM's location on the airframe put the compass too close to the PDB and other RFI immitting electronics (BECs, ESC, TX transmitters, etc...).

It's best the GPS always have a clear look into the sky and the compass placed far enough away from any electronics to mitigage RFI problems which will aid in providing a truer compass reading in flight.

• Randy,

About landing detector, I know that it' s set to be threshold below 25% of throttle output...

I dispose an hexarotor with big motors that for hovering need 30% throttle output.

By time and for a short time, the drone drops below 30% throttle output, for example 25% (during a squall of wind ..)

The landing detector never triggered, I want to be sure it can never happen ...

That you advise me to do to prevent that this can happen?

It there a way to convince the autopilot it to require 50% power, for example via MOT TCRV parameters or via another parameters?

Or There is another way to ensure that the landing detector triggers only below 15 or 20%?

Could you for example add this parameter into the full parameter list or hard code it below 20% ?

• 3702528661?profile=originalin this screen shot, flying in loiter, you can see thr out droping below 25% !

• Developer

AC3.2-rc13 is now available through the mission planner.  I've updated the top part of this discussion to include the changes since -rc12.

Thanks!

• Great, I will test this during the weekend. I'd like to test PosHold, but MP does't ask list it. By changing the parameter to 16, should it work even if MP doesn't seem to display this flightmode?

I will also run modified parachute lib to check behaviour on a real flight with disarm/eject commented and see if it would lead to unwanted triggers.

Thanks again.

• You need to click the "Help" tab in Mission Planner and click "Check for BETA Updates" at the bottom of that page.

PosHold is missing from the "stable" mission planner but is fixed in the beta.

• hi randy, had been flying form AC3.2-rc2 to AC3.2-rc12. Did not come across any issue that could be noticed. did about 20 auto missions. only issue i get is when using 3DR GPS on pixhawk. The GPS looses it's satellite lock during flight. This DOES NOT happens when using the same 3DR GPS on APM2.6. it happened twice. i was able to get the bird back although. could this be a bad GPS?

This reply was deleted.

Activity