Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,

I am now testing 3.3. in automode.  I have a question:
    1. Which parameter turns off the sound when switching modes?
    2. How to start automode flight from the ground in MP now?

Thanks.

• Developer

Gleb,

Yes, sadly no way to mute the pixhawk besides the physical solution.  It's on the to-do list though!

We currently still require the pilot to raise the throttle to start the motors in any of the flight modes.  I..e you need an RC connected.  The only exception is Guided mode's take-off command.  So you may be able to arm in Guided mode and then, if your GCS supports it, send a take-off command and up it'll go.  Then after that you could switch into Auto.

Now, the drone-deploy guys have asked that we enable arming and take-off in AUTO mode so we're planning to add that (hopefully before AC3.3 goes out) but it's not in -rc1.

• Thanks Michael

Thanks Randy,

I would like to ask you make parameter that turns off the sound when auto mode. When I check the settings the copter sound is very useful and necessary function. But when a copter on a mission, the sound can be heard a long way, especially when copter is in loiter mode in place long time. All people attention to the copter, absolutly all - people, dogs, cats, all all all.
        I can not turn off the red wire, because I need the sound to the beginning of the mission. I check the state before starting.

And I will be wait enable arming and take-off in AUTO mode.

Cheers,

• Have you tried putting a piece of tape over the speaker to mute it.  You can here it when arming up close, but isn't easily heard at any distance.  I use electricians tape on my birds and it is pretty much drowned out by the prop noises in flight.

• To turn off the sound you cut the Red wire going to the speaker.

The copter makes enough noise what's a few more.  It will let you know when something other than you changed the flight mode and if it's not successful it beeps twice.

It also beeps during auto missions as it hits each waypoint too.

• Today I had a first mishap using 3.3 rc1. While in Poshold, then switching to land, the Spy Y6 descended and got to about 6 ft. then apparently decided it didn't like the position it was at, twitched, and made a bee line to the cedar trees. I tried to correct as best as possible, but it did crash (gently mind you), and no harm done.

Ready to blame xxxx, I looked at the logs and there they were, horrible Z axis vibrations. Upon further investigation, one of the Zeal gel pads came loose and the FC was thumping on the mounting plate. I'd been planning on ridding those Zeal pads, and now was forced to. See before and after.

Before. Note all the spikes. Wow, surprised it didn't crash earlier.

VZQXlXV.png

After removing Zeal and replacing with 3DR pads. Very nice.

wocMR3i.png

My question is, just how much does EKF help dealing with bad vibrations that may happen suddenly in flight for example?

• Hello,

Are there some updates coming for the EPM from Nicadrone?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Max

• Hello Max, 

We will do an announcement on the EPM soon :D

• AWESOME!! Thanks for the answer :D
This reply was deleted.

Activity