GoPro "jello"

I mounted my GoPro Hero2 to the top of my 3DR frame using the standard mount and the resulting video was unusable- complete jello. So then I used tripod adapter with the camera and a 1/4-20 bolt to the top and still had unusable jello in the video.

Is anyone flying a hardmounted GoPro successfully on a 3DR frame? If so, how do you have it mounted and have you applied any tricks to create stable video.

Much thanks,

Pat

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've used GoPro Hero 2 at 30 f/s on my hex-copter. Can see here. Jello appears at start up, ie low frequencies but then goes away. I think make sure the motors and props are well balanced, you can also try putting some rubber mounts on whatever gimbal you use. Failing that you could see if 60 f/s makes any difference.

• I use Virtualdub to process my GoPro videos, and a deshaker filter (http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm) to get rid of the jello. The deshaker filter has a massive amount of parameters, most of which are mystical to me. The results are quite good, here's a sample from a GoPro in a Pitts Special - it's unedited video that ran over night (Both passes took around 12 hours in total). This is an example of extreme shakiness - a 16 year old holding the GoPro while pulling 4 Gs. 

Also, by default, Virtualdub doesn't read mp4s. I use another plugin (http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/downloads/list) for this. Don't bother with the 64-bit versions, as one of the ffinput or deshaker 64-bit plugin is broken.

<p

Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org
  • hello

got a question regarding your setup : because your frame is much heavier than standard : can you still loiter ?

- and if yes : how did you change the param's ?

thx

• As Martyn said, try switching to 60fps, that will drastically reduce the rolling shutter effect right off the bat. If that brings it down low enough for you then you've saved yourself a lot of hassle with vibration isolation.

• Check out the videos I have posted.  I can send you some pics of my mounting set-up.

Video's Here

What GoPro are you using?  Original, HD or HD2?  Do you have the lastest camera firmware?

Adam

• What gimbals are people using for the GoPro, if any?  I'm completing my 3DR quad build and want to make it into an aerial photo platform...  Thanks!

-joe

• What I have found that helps is to use a polarizing filter like the one from rage cams ( no I have no affiliation with them)

By cutting down the light it not only adds color and depth tot he shots but with the cmos sensor it helps with the jello.

Hope that helps.

("credentials, 20 years pro videographer)

Rolling Shutter and Jello is only the symptom of the problem.

The problem as Tomas pointed out is actually vibration.  You can get anti vibration stand offs that fit on the arducopter stand offs from a mikrokopter shop, as its standard to have the camera gimbal and control board on the anti vibration mounts.

Secondly prop and motor balancing is so important in reducing vibration.  And unbalanced motor or unbalanced props creates a lot of vibration in the frame.

On my Mikrokopter I found only leg vibrating in the hover, I then discovered that one motor didn't spin completely silent when I spun the prop by hand, the rest of the motors were dead silent. When I replaced the motor, the vibration went away.  I now only get jello when my camera is zoomed in at between 10 to 20x zoom.

• mount it on a piece of foam from a hard case or something like that, then use rubber bands to hold it down. Dont tape it or hard mount it, the tape will transfer vibes easily.

Also, try buying some moongel at your local music store on amazon, it is the same stuff as those old sticky hands you used to get from vending machines as a kid.

It eliminated vibes

http://www.amazon.com/MG4-Moon-Drum-Damper-Pads/dp/B000E6LMR0

Matt

• Hi Pat,

Welcome to the wobbly world of the rolling shutter. I use a HD Hero on my Caterham which subjects it to plenty of jello-inducing vibration. I find that getting the mount as rigid as possible, then using 60fps 720p rather than the 30fps modes really helps as the raster scan rate is twice as fast, so the relative deflection is half as strong.

The idea behind the rigid mount is that the frame can add stability to the camera in much the same way as a steadicam sled. In a soft mount scenario you risk inducing resonance of the partially free-to-move camera. Sometimes the resonant frequency is out of band, so not excited, or the damping you use (e.g. gel blocks) might be efficient enough to damp the motion, but it's hit and miss.

Martyn

This reply was deleted.

Activity