I want to practice on a simulator first. There are so many choices and I'm confused. Once I am used to the simulator, I'll build a easystar and fly it. Once I get the hang of it, I'll add the ardupilot setup.So, which simulator will best prep me for this? I plan on spending up to 150usd.also, i didn't know which category to put this in.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In that price range I would advise you to use AeroFly Professional.
    I have been using it for years and it has a flight model, pretty close to the real thing.
    They even have a Mac version.

http://www.aerofly.com/
    Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator
    The flight simulator for the next generation
  • Developer
    Realflight is nice but pricey. Also, they upgrade it frequently. However, there have not been big changes to the dynamic models since 3.0 or 3.5. Mostly just bells and whistles that are not really important. I'd check on ebay and you should be able to snag 3.5 for under $100. I'd expect to see a bunch of used hit ebay after Christmas when people get the latest and greatest.
  • Buy a airhog and learn on that they are basically indestructible then once you get the basic coordination seek help from a instructor.. In my case I am self taught ,started of with airhog F-18 hen a 4 channel Hobbyzone 150 it took a hell of a beating now I fly a E-flight Apprentice
  • I would recommend searching out your nearest RC club and asking if anyone would be willing to give you some flight instruction. It will cost significantly less and give you a real feel for your platform rather than a simulated one.
  • Perhaps you have your aeroplane already. But if not, you could do worse than a Hobbico NexSTAR 46. A version of this is available with the airframe (a solid 69" trainer), radio and engine, along with a cut-down version of the RealFlight flight simulator, AND some sort of Active Flight Stabilization (like the FMA unit, I believe). All in a package selling at Tower Hobbies for under $400.

This isn't what I'd actually recommend. I think you would do better to get an AviStar and a human instructor, but if you particularly want to use a FlightSim, and since the AFS may have application later when converting to UAV, the NexSTAR is worth considering.

If you want to have fun while learning, of course, you buy yourself an EPP Zagi and chuck it off a cliff!
    I would recommend realflight, its a realy nice simulator with plenty of extra aircraft you can download, and evin make/edit them to suit your current plane, also includes training videos and practice courses for beginners to advanced. I got it to help me learn to fly choppers after i spend many hour$$ rebuilding my chopper. But i also messed around with flying the aircraft and about a year later i got my first RC aircraft and was flying it in real life right away and have not crashed it badly.

The sim isnt 100% same as real life, but it does teach you the skills you need (like when the aircraft is flying towards you, or in high turbulence winds) so u can start flying in real life without crashing from fundamental errors.
  • try this ..www.flying-model-simulator.com

its free and you can make a simple interface cable to the pc which uses the audio port

If you live anywhere near South Wales..glad to let you train with a real model
    http://www.flying-model-simulator.com/
  • Developer
    I started on Real Flight. It's expensive, but so are planes. I learned to fly, then learned ailerons with it. I expect I'll train on each new plane that I buy so I'll keep it around.

Remember when the plane is coming at you, point the stick at the wing you want to raise...That's all you need to know.
  • just wondering if you have thought of starting up on a cheap foamy setup or any epp gliders? I started off learning to fly with an indestructible glider set up and found it more helpful than a simulator. If there are any rc plane clubs around thats also a good way to get flying as you will get a lot of help from other club members
  • Great planes Real flight. That is the only one that comes to mind right now but there are others.
This reply was deleted.

Activity