Replies

• I didn't know Hobby King made a Pixhawk clone. Got a link?
    • Nice design - side ports cable interface instead of top ports.

Hope it would be available soon.

• MR60

From the rcgroups post, this is yet another Chinese pixhawk alternative board from a so called CUAV company which apparently does not have a web site. The cost indicated on rcgroups will be about 180$ which is too high vs the original.

Connector type is not known nor its mechanical robustness, a metallic casing might disturb the compass, there are apparently no servo line electrical protections.

Weight and size are said to be the same as pixhawk, so no gain there.

Caution, caution...

• I have tried almost every brand of flight controller over a decade. Micropilot, DJI, 3DR and a number of other Chinese systems. One thing I have learned is that the value is not necessarily in the functionality, it's in the maturity. i.e.;

1) The number of users

2) The available on-line support (forums, FAQ, instructions - regularly updated).

3) The availability of parts

4) The freely available database of known issues.

5) The well structured software update and documentation process.

You can jump to something that looks shiny and new. The grass is always greener. However, everytime you jump, you have to ensure that the additional functionality/value you perceive is there outweighs the crashes/learning curve/frustration/investment in time and effort that it requires.

5 years ago we were paying thousands and thousands of dollars for small autopilots that did not have the functionality of the Pixhawk. Other than the fact that you can't actually buy them at the moment, why on earth would you chase something else for a few dollars saving?

• @ausdroid:  I wholeheartedly agree with your points. I feel for the people who have been at this for awhile. It seems that things that are now easy used to take more patience & money. I hope the future of open sourced products will get easier to organize in respect to structured software and the documentation process. That being said, the Chinese have a great opportunity to make improvements on what is already available.

• Like others have stated, the Chinese are building so fast that things like structured software & the documentation process get left behind.

• provided you would even get the pixhawk!!!

in fact, the majority of people actually lives outside of the us... 

and as long as they just follow the reference design i do not see why there should be an issue... chinese can assemble a pcb as well as mexicans can, if not better. they have lots of experience building most of the electronics for the west for the last decade.

• I worked for a manufacturing company in the US around 10 years ago, we began to outsource some of the work to both China and Mexico. Eventually we shut down the plant in Mexico, due to quality and manpower issues (when a better job comes around the good people jump). All manufacturing was then done in China with much better quality and less manpower issues.

• uff i`m so glad they stopped shipping the pixhawk.

this looks way better!

@3dr: look at this! everything in a box, small and tidy!!! i will continue buying your autopilot systems as soon as you come up with something like this!

• fully agree with you sixtimeseven!

This reply was deleted.

Activity